Shed power/lash up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present my shed has a socket and lights, fed by a length of flex in conduit and a 13A plug in the kitchen. (not my doing but past owner)
However i will admit that its useful. As a temporary measure i put it in an rcd plug, that was about 2 years ago and i would like to do a more permanent job.
I understand the best way is to fit a new mcb in the consumer unit swa out to the shed rcd protected garage consumer unit etc etc..
But would it be acceptable to use an rcd protected 13A fcu and spur of my ring main out to the shed using 4mm swa then double socket 3A fcu and lights (my ring main is not rcd protected)

PS. I know about part p and understand that this is notifiable to LABC.

Sponsored Links
Fezzie said:
At present my shed has a socket and lights, fed by a length of flex in conduit and a 13A plug in the kitchen. (not my doing but past owner)
However i will admit that its useful. As a temporary measure i put it in an rcd plug, that was about 2 years ago and i would like to do a more permanent job.
I understand the best way is to fit a new mcb in the consumer unit swa out to the shed rcd protected garage consumer unit etc etc..
But would it be acceptable to use an rcd protected 13A fcu and spur of my ring main out to the shed using 4mm swa then double socket 3A fcu and lights (my ring main is not rcd protected)

PS. I know about part p and understand that this is notifiable to LABC.

you can take it as a fused spur. but it mostly depends on what your using. if its only a few lights and maybe a small power tool, then FCU should be OK, if its for a large compressor/welder etc then it should have its own supply.

great thing about part P is they charge you if you make your electrics safer. kinda put you off doin it properly and runnin it thru a piece of flex plugged in, and a nail thru fuse because it blows with your 20A welder...

Thanks for your time Andy. glad this sounds OK.

Nothing big in there just a tumble drier and the odd power tool.

Sponsored Links
Fezzie said:
Thanks for your time Andy. glad this sounds OK.

Nothing big in there just a tumble drier and the odd power tool.

should be OK on a fused spur. just make sure the FCU is DP, just so if there is a fault you can easily isolate it from the house wiring (even more important if you have RCD's in the house)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back