Wiring for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have finally finished building my lean to shed and it now needs some power.

A quick look through part p suggests that a shed is not a special location and as it is attached to the house, there will be no outside wiring. My earth system is PME and there are no extraneous conductive paths within the shed.

So three options I have come up with are.

1. Spur off a house ring final using a 13A FCU (or switched FCU), take this into the shed to feed a couple of sockets, then a further 5A FCU to feed a couple of lights. Doesn’t need to be notified, cheap, simple install, but limited to 13A.

2. New circuits from the consumer unit. Very easy as CU is on the wall that the shed shares. So two new circuits for the shed, sockets and lights. Gives me more power, but is notifyable (is that actually a word?).

3. New circuit from non rcd side of the consumer unit to a 2 way rcd protected garage consumer unit to feed lights and power. Notifyable, the most expensive and the only advantage I see is that if I trip an mcb/rcd while in the shed, then its more convenient to reset as there is a board there.

Did I read/hear correctly that circuits to sheds/garages must be via an isolator? If this is true, then does that rule out option 2 as the mcb wouldn’t switch the neutral?

Anyway, although option 1 looks the easiest, I like the idea of option 2 as allows for more power should it be needed (Unlikely most of the time)

Have I missed anything / any better suggestions?
I realise I haven’t done any cable size calculations yet.

thanks

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Did I read/hear correctly that circuits to sheds/garages must be via an isolator?
No.

If this is true, then does that rule out option 2 as the mcb wouldn’t switch the neutral?
The main switch on the CU would.

Anyway, although option 1 looks the easiest, I like the idea of option 2 as allows for more power should it be needed (Unlikely most of the time)
Option 4:

Split the meter tails in service connector block(s) (often called Henley blocks), take one set to the existing CU and a second set to a switch fuse and then a cable to the shed CU, or, depending on distances and mechanical protection issues, directly to the shed CU.

That option does though raise issues of isolating the supply in order to safely work with the tails in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back