Connection to Shed & Outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of replacing a couple of outdoor halogen floodlights I want to separate the light circuit from the connection to my shed. Currently the light wiring seems to have been "spliced" into the SWA that connects to the shed. (By previous owner).

The SWA cable to the shed connects back to a 13 amp FCU in the house which connects directly back to the CU.

Shed has 2 sockets and a couple of strip lights.

I also want to protect the connection to the shed with an RCD which it currently.

The other constraint is that I need to work from where the circuit is exposed at the FCU because can't easily get under floor to expose circuit further up.

What's the best way for splitting the outdoor lights and shed power to 2 independently switched connections. Should I replace the current FCU with a 2 way CU or is there a better / less elaborate way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
paulb2
I'd say the best way is to call a registered domestic installer in (an electrician) to do the work.
As it comes under part p notification and will need to be notified to the council.
short of it is; by the time you have bought the relevant materials, tools, test equipment, and paid the application fee plus your time too.
An expert would have saved you money and hopefully completed the work safely and given you certificates that the work complies to the relevant standards.
Part P is a legal obliagation

I would want my outside lights on their own FCU, either on its own breaker in the CU or spurred off a ring. That way, any problems in the shed wouldn't disable the lights.

I would leave the rest of the shed wiring alone (other than un-splicing the lighting connection). If it doesn't have RCD protection but does have its own dedicated breaker in the CU, think about replacing this with an RCBO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back