Power to summer house - worried about neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour (recently widowed) has had an electrician run a power supply to her summer house. From the view from our house (which she can't see) I'm worried about the quality of the work and would appreciate any comments before I talk to her about it.

She has a 1930's bungalow with concrete tiles on the roof. The cable, which appears to be a standard internal twin and earth, has been poked though a gap in the tiles and attached to an wire anchor line which is attached to the soffit board by a random looking rusty hook, then secured to the wire with cable ties over to the summer house.

Photo hopefully attached.

My concerns are that the cable will rub between the roof tiles and over time wear through and also that anyone working in the garden could easily cut through the cable as it goes through the branches of a tree in the garden.

I'm no expert in exterior electrics and would be grateful for any guidance in regulations in this area (i.e. must armoured cable be used etc…)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
GALLERY]

That looks as rough as....
Your concerns seem justified. Obviously the woman has a lot on her plate at the moment but I'm sure will appreciate your help. Try and see if you can find out the name of the 'electrician' and if they were members of an approved body which is the place to start with any bad workmanship issues. Unfortunately it's a lottery as to whether you get anywhere.

Sponsored Links
You do need to mention this to the lady in a tactful way. Exactly how depends onher personality and ability to accept bads news. Is the "electrician" a relative of hers ? If so it make it very difficult to offer constructive criticism of his work without creating antagonism.

I would say to her that as temporary "quick fix" it was OK but the work needs to be re-done soon if it is not a temporary supply.

Then if she says it is not intended as a temporary supply I would explain how it is very likely tol fail soon as the cable is damaged by rubbing against roof tiles, the gutter ( is it metal ? ) and trees when the wind blows. Then break the news that if the cable is damaged under the roof tiles it could set fire to the felt lining under the tiles.

As a temporary measure, you could fit RCD protection to this feed, if not already fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back