Powerflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a full powerflush carried out on 22/10/2009 using machine and chemicals tested. I was not there when it was done, my partner was. and we paid £316.35.

Today, when B. Gas came to carry out my yearly maintenance check. When he came to bleed the radiators he told me the water in the radiator is black, and I told him I already had one done and he suggested I get them back. The guarantee was only for 3 months so I am at a loss here. :cry:

Powerflushes - Should the water automatically becomes clear once a full powerflush is done, or does it retain the dull brown colour.

Sponsored Links
The chemicals and techniques used when power flushing should meke the system water pretty clear but usually with a light straw colour.

Obviously we dont know what your fellow used. Did he ever say what chemicals he used or leave any bottles or stick and date any labels?

However well its power flushed it only takes a user two minutes to turn on the filling valve and within a few hours most of the benefit has been lost!

Tony

The chemicals and techniques used when power flushing should meke the system water pretty clear but usually with a light straw colour.

Obviously we dont know what your fellow used. Did he ever say what chemicals he used or leave any bottles or stick and date any labels?

However well its power flushed it only takes a user two minutes to turn on the filling valve and within a few hours most of the benefit has been lost!

Tony

I must say the system water is alot lighter than it was and it does resemble a straw like colour, because it was literally black.

The checmicals/bottles etc, as I wasn't there at the time when it was done and I couldn't answer that but thanks anyway for your response.

I will make sure I am present next time and will ask the obvious questions you've highlighted.

Tony

That is really rather misleading. If that was the case, the powerflush didn't need doing in the first place.

Sponsored Links
On a perfectly clean system, opening the filling loop and allowing mains water to run in and then out through the PRV and the new oxygen brought into the system will start corroding the rads within hours.

Tony

What is it they do on the continent then? I often hear it said they don't put inhibitor in sealed systems, yet they don't seem to have major problems. That said, if your user insists on opening the filling valves for a few minutes at ANY time, regardless of inhibitor content, then by your statement, they will screw it up anyway. What is your proposed solution?

When he bled the radiators, how much did he bleed out? It may be that you have had a low level in that radiator, and corrosion has continued since the flush.
I say continued, because it is likely the cause for the flush in the first place. Powerflushing does not stop something that has already started, but the treatment will reduce the speed of corrosion.

Corrosion inhibitor, inhibits corrosion, if it has already started, it wont stop it, just slow it. I would check it by isolating and draining a radiator, as the black water BG pulled out may just have been behind the vent, and it is in his brief to sell you a powerflush, as he will be on commission for one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back