Powerflusher changed direction of CH pump: which is right?

He didn't drain the system this time. He isolated the pump and put it back on the right way round pointing out of the boiler and into the valve.

The problem of the boiler turning itself off now seems to be the original problem I had when I turned the CH back on last week before I had it power flushed. I just don't understand why it would all work fine one way round (the wrong way) but not the other (the right way).

Undoubtedly he screwed up the refitting of the pump originally but if he hadn't then this problem of the boiler turning itself off after a few minutes would have come to light then immediately after the power flush (when he did stay about half an hour).

As it is, I now have odd but maybe useful info that the system works when it's fitted the wrong way round but not when it's the right way.

Sponsored Links
When the boiler briefly fires up which connector on the boiler does the heated water leave from and can you feel it going towards the pump and then the motorised valve ?

I would love to be a fly on the wall if you phoned him to ask if he could turn the pump round again! :LOL:

You may need a trip to casualty to have the pump surgically removed.

I just fired it up again. The boiler comes on for about a minute during which time it sounds like a kettle heating up. It sounds like the water is getting to boiling point inside. It then turns off.

The pipe running along the top of the boiler goes to the pump and on to the valve. It doesn't heat up. I cannot see exactly where it enters the boiler because it does so behind the exhaust. It has been working for years with the pump drawing water out of the boiler and into the valve.

The lower pipe, though, does get hot. And there's a middle pipe with a smaller pipe coming of it that is also cold.

But now it doesn't seem to be able to pump in this direction. I thought (before the power flush and the system working with it pushing water into the boiler) that the pump had gone.

But it works fine the wrong way. To my mind, this rules out the pump because I don't see how it can work one way but not the other. I may be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Pump now back on right way, air bled from it, all working and I've just been in the loft and there's no circulation of water through the F&E tank.

Thank you everyone for your pointers.

Richard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back