Powermax external expansion tank full of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been re routing pipework in my bathroom to fit a towel radiator, but my boiler pressure has gone through the roof. I noticed that my expansion tank is full of water as it spurts out when I press the Schrader valve in.

My question is how do I empty the expansion tank of water so I can pump it back up with air?

Sponsored Links
It needs replacing if water is coming out of the Schraeder valve, it's goosed

The vessel is faulty,you need a replacement 18L expansion vessel.Search google for 'P781 powermax'

my boiler pressure has gone through the roof.
With the system hot,what is the pressure gauge reading ?

The hot pressure has dropped back to normal @ 0.75Bar, but the expansion tank is still full of water.
I had thought that this is with me filling the system via the loop and not pumping air in the tank?
Can I not just find a way to empty the tank of water and pump air back in?

Sponsored Links
open a drain point and leave it open, then put a foot pump onto the schraeder valve and pump up to 0.8Bar then close the drain point and re-pressurise the water system, you MUST follow all the steps or it wont work , if you dont leave a drain point open as you pump the vessel there is no point in doing it

I noticed that my expansion tank is full of water as it spurts out when I press the Schrader valve in.
Water from the schrader valve = new expansion vessel time.

If its changed asap you will avoid other boiler problems,you can diy exchange the vessel but leaving the powermax with a faulty vessel usually results in other faults inside the boiler case which you will need a gas technician to resolve.

Not a popular boiler with many gas technicians :idea:

open a drain point and leave it open, then put a foot pump onto the schraeder valve and pump up to 0.8Bar then close the drain point and re-pressurise the water system, you MUST follow all the steps or it wont work , if you dont leave a drain point open as you pump the vessel there is no point in doing it

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow.

Water from the schrader valve = new expansion vessel time.

If its changed asap you will avoid other boiler problems,you can diy exchange the vessel but leaving the powermax with a faulty vessel usually results in other faults inside the boiler case which you will need a gas technician to resolve.

Not a popular boiler with many gas technicians :idea:

I'm not this boilers biggest fan either and will likely have it replaced at some point, but I can't help think that water in the tank is self inflicted by me neglecting to pump it up...ever :eek:

Or get the boiler serviced ever? Checking/repressurising the vessel is part of the annual service schedule

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow.

I'm not this boilers biggest fan either and will likely have it replaced at some point, but I can't help think that water in the tank is self inflicted by me neglecting to pump it up...ever :eek:
It should be done Annually, just because water comes out of the shraeder valve does not me an it needs replacing

Or get the boiler serviced ever? Checking/repressurising the vessel is part of the annual service schedule

The boilers last service was by the seller when we moved in almost 2 years ago.

Yes I'm bad. Getting hold of a plumber round here is near on impossible. I had 3 no shows when I wanted a gas fire hooking up and ended up settling on a 6 week waiting list.

Can I drain it down from a radiator drain valve?

Can I drain it down from a radiator drain valve?
yes but make sure that you leave it open while pumping up the expansion vessel, you will see why when you see how much water comes out of the expansion vessel when the water stops then you are starting the re-charge process but you need to completely empty the vessel first

Thanks guys.
So far I've pumped out a few buckets worth of water until no more came out when pumping air in the expansion tank.
Then I tightened the valve back up and pumped the expansion tank up to 0.8 Bar and filled the system with water via the loop valve until the pressure on the boiler read 1.0 Bar whilst checking for air at the rads via the bleed valves.

I did this cold, so other than turning on the central heating, bleeding the rads and then filling the boiler back up when cold, is there anything else you would advise (other than perhaps replacing the inhibitor).

you are supposed to leave the drain valve open till you have finished pumping the vessel up , but as long as no more water was coming out you should be OK

Fingers crossed it will be ok, otherwise I could always start over.
In the mean time the boiler pressure is holding steady at 1.0 Bar and the rads are bled.
Also, if I ping the expansion tank I get a nice ringing sound, so it's definitely empty :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back