Powermax HE - no errors but no CH or HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hopefully someone may be able to help me ensure I haven't missed anything simple before calling out an expert.

I live in a flat and as above I have a Powermax HE boiler.

Having been away for a week or two over Christmas have returned to the boiler greeting me with low pressure error.

No problem I thought, so topped up system.

Was initially greeted by an E 03 error, flow temp abnormally high, manual says to turn off and check/replenish system and purge air.

Managed to get to a stable pressure (currently 1.4) with no error codes.

CH and HW are both set to ON with green lights. But I am not getting any hot water or heating.

Burner light isn't coming on when I try and draw hot water, thermostat is up high for heating too. Boiler is making what sound like normal noises, i.e. If I switch HW or CH off/on.

There is heat somewhere - i.e. Top of boiler is warm, some warmth in some of the pipes on boiler.

If I compare water from hot and cold water from taps there is a discernible difference - cold is icy cold, hot is still definitely cold but not as icy (but then maybe that's just because the water is not coming directly from outside).

I thought it may be because system was so cold having been off for days it would take a while to heat up fully, but has been about 12 hrs now.

Sorry for the long post but would be grateful of any ideas before calling someone out.

To cut a long story short- display showing normal, no error codes, but no CH or HW and burner not appearing to fire up when hot water required.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Was the boiler completely switched off while you were away? In any case I would start by powering it off for several seconds and back on to see if that gets it back into normal operation.
It shouldn't just ignore demand for heating or hot water without some sort of indication of a problem on the display. Does the pump run at all?

Thanks for your reply.

Boiler was left on, it's always on constant, thermostat turned down a bit so it didn't get too cold. We weren't expecting it to be empty for as long to be honest so didn't really think too much about it.

I have tried powering it off etc with no luck so far.

Display still looks like it's fine, no error codes.

The pump is hidden away at the top I think, I have taken off the inspection plate (?) and there is a general hum but due to there being an extractor fan in the ceiling just outside where the boiler it was quite hard to tell what's what. There is a lot of heat up there.

With the extractor off there isn't a great deal of noise - but if my pics attach ok you'll see it's hard to see much without fiddling more, which I obviously shouldn't do.

On powering on the boiler there is a general hum that comes on accompanied by several clicks.

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

try turning the little black knob in last photo to release the air or undo the screw on the front of the pump to release air from there .
how often do you have to repressurise the boiler ?

Sponsored Links
Hi - tried turning the black thing- unscrewed it until it came off, didn't notice a release of pressure or air. Can't really get much access without dismantling a lot of stuff I think.

I rarely have to re pressurise the boiler - it certainly isn't something I do on a regular basis - I don't remember The last time it needed it really.

But, the strangest thing just happened- went to use bathroom and the boiler was much noisier, like it was trying to fire up. Then the burner light came on, pressure went up to about 1.8 then after about 10 seconds the burner light went off.

Now back to how it was before - 1.4 and no error codes. And, of course, no heating or hot water.

Not sure if that points towards anything?

Think it looks like I'll need to get someone out, but do let me know if you think of anything else.

Thanks for all your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back