Pre-fab garage improvement advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a house that has a triple garage - pre-fab concrete with stone chip render on the front pillars and a flat corrugated (possibly) concrete/asbestos roof. It's not terrible, but the roof leaks, and it's not really in keeping with the old limestone walls of the house. Budget is limited though having just bought the house!

The triple garage fits up against the boundaries on the side and rear, so those walls aren't really visible, so I don't care too much about them.

Due to the garden, only the right hand garage is really usable for a vehicle, so I'd like to remove the ropey centre and left hand garage doors, and put studwork in, with a window frame in the centre garage (workshop), and a window and door frame in the left and side. I don't envisage too many issues with the joinery, but I'd appreciate some suggestions on what to face the studwork with. I'd like to make the whole thing look less like a pre-fab garage block from the front, and more like a more traditional outbuilding, if only from the front. Possibly reclaimed slate tiles - can i tile vertically with them? Or am I better sourcing some limestone walling and building a single skin wall and tie it to the pillars, and in front of the studwork? Can I do that on the edge of a concrete flat base, without further foundation work?

I'm adept with DIY, but not really sure how to approach this without making it look like a polished turd! (which is what it is!). Long term plan is to demolish, and replace with an Oak framed 1.5 garage, freeing up some garden in the process, but that's a few years away, so a quick fix needed.

Lastly, the roof needs replacing or leak sealing. What should I best use to replace it with - bitumen impregnated corrugated sheet? Or are there bettter options. Like I said, budget is limited - I'm looking to make the place tolerable until eventual replacement.

Thanks for any ideas, Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back