Precast concrete garages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a detached garage with pitched roof. Has anyone any experience with precast (prefabricated/sectional) garages and how do they compare to traditional built brick n tile, or block and render finish? External appearance isn't too important,,, as only the front elevation will be seen, but security is important. I know they go up faster and seem to be cheaper, but any issues I should be aware off?

All comments appreciated

Sponsored Links
Once bolted together on a proper base they are as solid as a rock in my opinion having had one for thirty odd years. security of the doors depends on what type of locking you want. Hav'nt had any probs with mine.

Thanks wingcoax,

There is one adjacent which is old, but seems solid enough, so fits in with your comment.

I checked with the company I'm thinking of using, and they use a semi-flush lock, (key in the bottom) and bolts to each corner of the garage door, so can't expect much more than that.

You can easily update the door security by adding additional locks. A locksmith will be able to advise/supply/fit garage specific models. Azbe makea good one.

If you are storing expensive bikes or plant then an internal ground anchor concreted in will also be wise.

Sponsored Links
Jack,
I was in a similar position and opted for a sectional concrete garage, apparently from the market leader, but have had no end of problems with it. Though these are all to do with leaks really. Photos of some of the problems on my profile.

I'd advise checking out the model you intend buying, preferably during/shortly after heavy rain and getting any assurances re waterproof roof etc in writing.

Aren't most of the leaks due to the rubbish roofing? The actual garage sections themselves, if installed correctly, are pretty weatherproof in my (limited) expereince.

Aren't most of the leaks due to the rubbish roofing? The actual garage sections themselves, if installed correctly, are pretty weatherproof in my (limited) expereince.

Once the ones with corners knocked off, internal cracks, 'dishing' were replaced, then they seem to be OK.

However they did spray them all with 'Thomsons' waterproofer, so not sure if they would have been OK otherwise.

If you look at the image on my profile called"Inside the leaky panel," that was wet to the touch after rain, despite having been sprayed.

I inherited my sectional garage 10 years ago and the pevious owner built it himself 5 years prior to that, the integritiy of the walls has always been good but the I've been chasing leaks in the roof for yonks.

I can only guess that your leaky panel has a crack under the pebble dash or the waterf rom the roof is draining down it.

The one I used for many years let water in all around the base. That was because it was just stood on a flat concrete slab some 2 feet larger than the garage. The rainwater just ran straight under the walls.

If a little more thought had gone into the floor slab before it was laid, that problem could easily have been avoided.

The asbestos roof was waterproof for most of it's life, but eventually one sheet cracked, and started to leak. It must have been over 25 years old when it failed though.

Yes, they do need a fillet to stop water running under the walls. I paid for one of these which was relaid twice before they got it right. It's worth having, but well worth making sure they mix PVA with the cement and paint a PVA mixture on the surfaces first.

No PVA and the water just soaks through. The trouble is, unless you stand there watching you don't know they haven't done the job properly until it rains!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back