Preferred undercoat plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Had a little experiment last weekend.
Had some patching up to do over the weekend - about half a moderate size wall, back to blockwork.
I've normally used Bonding in the past, but thought I'd have a go at trying something different this time - Hardwall.
I would say I found it is less granular, dries slightly whiter in colour, was slightly more expensive than Bonding - but other than that, I didn't really notice much difference (I am only a novice DIY!).
I know the data sheet says that it produces a harder result etc and found a few threads comparing them, but little posting as to what you all prefer.

My questions are
:?: Which backing plaster do you prefer? (or even render)
:?: If you switch between plasters, is it a hard and fast rule based on substrate?

Interestingly I also found that my local shed has stopped selling Browning now, and only stocking the other two. So I'm guessing Browning is losing popularity?

TIA

Sponsored Links
hiya Newb!

Check out the selector chart:

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/thistle_plaster_products.aspx

browning is a bit redundant really, bonding is for low to medium suction and hardwall medium to high, they overlap slightly and browning sits right in the overlap, i personally use hardwall for pretty much all brick and blockowrk except engineering bricks, bonding for all else.

i'm told that once you've got into render you'll never look back but really you need someone mixing it i think, for me doing domestic refurb i find it easier at the moment to get bags of which ever gypsum i need.

hiya Newb!

Check out the selector chart:

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/thistle_plaster_products.aspx

i'm told that once you've got into render you'll never look back but really you need someone mixing it i think, for me doing domestic refurb i find it easier at the moment to get bags of which ever gypsum i need.

Hi TM1

Thanks for the reply.
Had a quick look at the selector, hadn't spotted that before. Had seen the datasheets.

Render is on the list to try (one day).
Figure the best way to improve the skills is to try out the different materials - but try not to mess up the house re-furb or I'll be for it with she-who-shan't-be-crossed! ;)

For general patching & repair work, I use bonding; very good for binding scabby walls but needs prep. as it’s primarily for low suction. It will also stick to non porous surfaces much better than Hardwall or Render so it’s useful as a base over cable capping on rewires, cavity closers, steel lintels etc; only problem is it’s rather soft. For deep repairs over cracks involving steel lath reinforcing I use nothing but sand/cement/lime render as I do for anything within 1 metre of fire opening or stove. For larger areas & new walls, I used Hardwall exclusively up until a few years ago but as I got better, I switched to a straight sand/cement render; much better IMO & much cheaper but can be tricky for the inexperienced. It also depends on the original base coat, as a rule I like to match like with like to avoid any potential problems around mixing base coats. With new walls no question, a render base but not everyone has the time for it (which also reflects in the cost) & is largely where the newer base coats come in.

I agree with TM in that Browning seems to be largely redundant nowadays unless I’m missing a trick somewhere. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have always prefered to use sand and cement whenever possible but as said before i use either hardwall or bonding dependant on the circumstances .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back