Prep n Paint of Plaster Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

OH and I have removed wallpaper using a steam stripper:

//www.diynot.com/network/PaintNDec/albums/

Both the plastered and plasterboard walls now look like this.

Having never decorated before, I'd like to ask some advice before wasting time and money!

How do we prepare the wall before painting? We have plastered walls and plasterboard walls to paint and they all look like the picture.

I know this question had been asked many times, but when I checked I couldn't find a previous post that had linked to a picture. I'm sure a picture is very helpful before people respond. The Collins and Reader's Digest books mention skim plaster (apply with large brush and spread with supplied plastic spreader - 3mm) and lining paper.

We don't fancy lining paper as our previous wallpaper had wrinkled and peeled near heat sources (admitttedly after many years).

Do we need to skim? What's an effective DIY route that doesn't involve spending large on a plasterer!?

Cheers,

Tony.

Sponsored Links
Skimming would give you the best finish..those walls are in a bit of a mess and lining paper may not work or may cause problems because the paint doesnt look very well stuck on..you could end up with bubbles in the lining paper which are in the paint below and they can be a nightmare...sometimes they go back down..and then sometimes..... :rolleyes:

Also the joints in the lining paper may lift with the paint stuck to them but lifting from the wall...as they dry

Id suggest either sealing the wall completely with a good primer sealer filling the edges of the paint then lining or...skimming.

Zampa,

Much appreciate your advice. I'll go with skimming the walls. I've done my research on tools and techniques for plastering (although Masonry & Plastering by Mike Lawrence contained very little on plastering).

I'll no doubt make a few abortive attempts. Worse case, I'll call in a pro - but I hope through practise and persistence I'll make a good go of it... ;)

Cheers Zampa,

Tony.

If you put a skim coat on loose paint - then the only thing holding up that skim is loose paint. Soon as you get the roller on it - it'll all peel off. As for doing your own skimming without experience - hahahahaha.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, my walls also look like this and I'm really worried as to how to go about fixing something like this?

Paintndec, did you have any luck with the skimming?

Can anyone help on these types of topics?

DIYnewbee,

We got quotes for £600 and £650 for skimming of two double bedrooms and a box room. Other half and I decided to sand, fill and paint. It's long hard and tedious work.

Having said that, you do get a good deal of satisfaction from the end result. We're more than happy. There must be many people in a similar situation who have just stripped paper off walls.

My advice - if you're time rich and cash poor - DIY. Otherwise, have the walls skimmed. No doubt the end result would've been better skimmed. But to our minds, not significantly better to justify the cost of skimming.

Screwfix do good detail and orbital sanders on a budget:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19999/Power-Tools/Sanders/Titan-SF430B-430W-Random-Orbit-Sander

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89324/Power-Tools/Sanders/Titan-SFD280E-280W-Detail-Sander

Good luck!

P & D

Hi PaintnDec,

Thanks for the reply. In the end we went for the skimming option as we ran out of time and the quote wasn't too bad at a flat £200. So far all is looking good and the room is now painted and ready to live in.

Thanks for the help
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back