Prepairing Wall for plasterer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Fitted celotex insulation in a stud wall bolted on to existing wall, and putting up plasterboard over it in preperation for plasterer doing full room.

Not the best at cutting plasterboard, so few little gaps here and there, I know he will tape the joints before plastering, but is it worth my time using a caulk inbetween any joins that are over a few mm?

Sponsored Links
There is no need to fill minor gaps in butted up board edges.
If the gap is a little large, you can double tape the joint, which will help.
Any large holes or gaps, I would fill with bonding compound.

The other area to consider prior to applying finish plaster, is to apply thin coat beads to external jointed angles, generally on window reveals.
Once the bead is cut to size, I cut a 45 degree in the bead, where beads are going to meet each other. I also squeeze the bead in slightly, prior to fitting it, this will help prevent the bead sitting proud of the board/plaster coat.

On standard plasterboards, there is no need to prime the board prior to applying your coats of finish (two coats of plaster is the preferred and is the best method). You can use either board finish or multi-finish, multi-finish will give you a little more working time with the mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back