Preparing Wall for skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken old tiles off a bathroom wall. As the tiles came off, some of the old skim (2mm finishing) has come off too. But in most areas the old skim is fine. I want to skim the wall to make it level for new tiles. Do I need to remove ALL of the old skim or can I just remove the damaged (weak) parts and then skim, so that the new plaster is level with the old plaster (which is in good state)

Sponsored Links
If the majority of the old skim is sound, then just leave it on. As long as the damaged/loose or hollow areas are removed, the rest should be ok,, but check it over well,, rub the back of you fingernails over the wall, and you'll hear any hollow areas of skim.
For the sake of 2mm, i'd fill the the missing areas with tile cement, just to flush them off. Roughen it up a little, leave it to dry, (next day), then tile over it. Some might not even bother, and just bed it out with tile adhesive as they tile,,, but i'd flush it off if it was me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back