Plastering to make up to existing levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone advise me on a small plastering job.

I wish to skim 2 small wall areas which are about 6 Sq. metres each.

1/ The 1st area is a plastered wall which has been painted with some kind of mat finish water paint.

I have tried to scrape the paint off but the paint surface and the underlying plaster are very sound.

Can I skim over the paint and then tile the skimmed area; and if so, is any special treatment required.

2/ The 2nd area has been tiled in the past and the tiles have been removed. The old tile adhesive is still in place and cannot be removed without causing a lot of damage to the plaster.

Both the existing plaster and the old tile adhesive are very sound and if possible I would like to skim and tile as before to match the existing levels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and best regards,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Depending on what tiles you want to install plaster may not be the most ideal background!

Hi 1JOHN thank you for your prompt reply.

The tiles I wish to apply are the same tiles as those which are fixed to
the main area of wall and are normal ceramic wall tiles obtained from the distributer.

I feel that if the new skim coat will bond to the existing surfaces which I have described, there will be no problem with the tiles because they have been fixed to the to the main plaster wall area for a number of years.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Tony

1) on wall one are you plastering the whole wall and does it need to be plastered if you are going tile it? Bearing mind you say the surface is sound!
2) Have you tried to remove the tile adhesive using heat, this can be applied using a heat gun or a steamer, this will help soften the adhesive up and make it easier to remove.

Sponsored Links
I feel that if the new skim coat will bond to the existing surfaces which I have described, there will be no problem with the tiles because they have been fixed to the to the main plaster wall area for a number of years.

Hi Tony.
Plaster can take less weight than other substrates for tiling onto.
This is why the guys have been suggesting whether it needs plastering again if it's to be tiled.
The tiling forum has loads on useful info - I'd suggest a read there to get the best prep for your tiles.
Yes, the additional skim coat is probably going to take fine on your existing surface, but that will be an extra layer of multi-finish.
As you build up layers, they all have to bond well. The more layers, the more chance of a problem.

Of course you may proceed with this skim and the tiles may go on fine - they are probably small tiles, and not like the heavyweight ones normally seen in bathrooms for example. I'm just adding this so you are aware of the risks and where to do some more reading.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back