Plastering, where smooth wall meets previously tiled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I want to remove all tiles in my half-tiled kitchen, and then just have all the wall smooth enough to paint.

The wall above the half tiled level is very smooth and good enough to paint. However I've been told that the 'good' wall will need to be plastered, in addition to the wall behind the tiles, because otherwise there will be a ridge where the new plaster meets the existing plaster. (I hope this makes sense!)

I do understand about the ridge, but it seems a very costly way of dealing with it. Has anyone found a way of dealing with this without having to skim the whole room please?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It CAN be done (I've done it as a first time plastering amature in my old house)

BUT I'm guessing that any time spent in trying to match the level of the existing plaster and feather in would cost more than just skimming the whole wall...or even two walls, the cost is going to be getting the plasterer in for the day, not the amount of plaster he uses. and plastering a bit bigger area for a pro (not for me!) probably won't take him much longer!

Took me bloomin ages and a little bit of sanding after to get a smooth seemless finish between the two, but it was seemless!...took three coats of paint (over the whole area) to cover.

If I was doing it again now, knowing what I know, I'd skim the whole wall...even at my speed it'd be quicker! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back