presssurised sytem??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. just wondered if you guys could help me. i have just installed a vaillant 637 on a one pipe system. the problem is that only half the rads are getting hot. i have tried balancing them all and even resorted to fitting an extra pump so it now has 2 running (one flow and 1 return) the pipes in the premesis are roughly 54 mm steel with 40mm branches so the extra pump was to help boost the water as the top floor is around 8-9 metres above the boiler in the basement. i know the best solution would have been to run a seperate return to the rads but the customer desperately needed some heating as the old boiler was condemned. the old boiler was the same set-up apart from being open vented? now with a fully pumped system i would have expected a better performance than the old system.
the only changes to this system we have made is put 1 additional rad on which is downstairs and gets hot.
asll the rads downstairs apart from one get hot and most of the ones upstairs range between luke-warm, hot and cold.
i have come across this problem before but that was due to an non-return valve and me changing flow and return to a combi but with this one i am 100 percent sure that the pipes are correct and if it worked before why wont it now? im thinking its either an air lock or sludge but i think its unlikely that a 40mm pipe would become blocked. anyone?????

Sponsored Links
Sometimes if the pump speed is too high the water just by-passes the tee offs to the rads. It needs water just floating around the large one pipe.

Put a magnaclean on the boiler return.

That's right - stick a 28mm Magnaclean on the 54mm return - that'll stem the flow nicely.

Sponsored Links
interesting, 54mm steel, does not sound like new built. how did you sign it off on part L?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back