Pressure drop on expansion vessel (1)

Yes it is, that’s unvented so answers my question.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's the HW cylinder and yes it's an Megaflo unvented HW cylinder. There is a re-charge process that you need to follow to re-charge the air bubble within the cylinder. There are instructions on the cylinder itself that a normal user can perform.

Did you empty the air out the red vessel? If so how did you do that? If you used the car tyre type valve on the top then unfortunately you will need to have that re-charged too.

I don't know what the guy at the plumbers was thinking about when he told you to empty the air out of the expansion vessel but that wasn't correct. Also I don't know what he was talking about when he said let the air out of the vessel to sort out any air in the pipes, he really needs to shut up as it doesn't sound like he has a clue about what he talking about.

Expansion vessels must have air in them for them to perform their safety function.

If you're not sure then unfortunately you'll need to get an engineer in to sort it out for you, they need to be qualified to work on unvented HW so you need to see their qual ID.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Thank you @Madrab, I reposted the message in a different forum that’s why it’s duplicated. I will have a look and see if I feel confident to refill the vessel. If not, I will have to try and get someone round which is difficult with covid. It worries me getting tradesmen out that are trustworthy, especially with the heating. We had our boiler serviced one year and the engineer broke our boiler, we never saw him again and was without heating during a bad winter so we decided to use British Gas but they aren’t sending anybody out. I really appreciate all your help

If you can post your rough location then there may be someone on here that can offer an option, the chaps and chapesses are pretty good with suggestions.

The Megaflo you can re-charge yourself but you didn't mention whether you had released the pressure out of the red vessel or not? If you have then it a little more convoluted to re-pressurise that and if you don't have the pump etc then it will be difficult but that would be as high a priority as the unvented would be.

The guy at the plumbers store said to reduce all the air out the vessel
and why do you think he works at the Plumbers store, picking things off shelves for minimum wage, if he knew anything about heating systems he wouldnt be working there, couldnt have been worse advice

Thank you @Madrab i did release the pressure in the red vessel on instruction of the guy at the plumbers which @ianmcd is right in saying what he’s said. I was told to go to their store because they were very knowledgeable, obviously not :(

You will have to get that vessel re-charged or it will cause you problems, may posts in the FAQs of how to do it but dont cut any corners do it exactly as advised and make sure you leave a drain point open when you do it

Tha I you so much for your replies, you all have been more than helpful. I’m waiting for someone to call me about having a look at it (been waiting all afternoon :whistle:) o wouldn’t fancy trying to recharge it just incase I make things worse and blow my house up :eek:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Re-charging the red vessel can be performed by any plumber/ heating engineer.

If the unvented requires more than just the bubble re-charged though, then the engineer must hold either their G3 or UVHW (Scot) quals. Please make sure you check ... it'll either be on their Gas Safe Card or on a specific G3/UVHW ticket.

Now's a great opportunity to tidy up the airing cupboard, which will achieve 3 things:

1. It'll make working around your hot water cylinder easier, and cheaper if someone else does it.
2. It'll expose the bubble recharging instructions printed on the side of your Megaflow (note, nothing to do with your red vessel recharging)
3. It'll save you having to add the footnote 'sorry about the mess':)

You can recharge the red expansion vessel with a car tyre inflator which has a gauge attached. It is straightforward, but requires you to follow the FAQ instructions, and to use a modicum of common sense (which may not be as common as it's made out to be).

None of those things is capable of blowing up your house.

:LOL: Noted about the mess in the cylinder cupboard haha

hopefully this engineer will call and he will recharge the vessel, I wouldn’t want to make things any worse and thank you for the safe sound words about me not blowing my house up, I will sleep better tonight (y) Thank you for messaging, I really appreciate it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back