Pressure relief valve

Sponsored Links
And how often do I check the paper before it dries out in my airing cupboard

If you draw some lines on the paper using water soluble ink then if it does get wet the lines will become blurred and remain so when the paper dries out

Sponsored Links
Firstly thanks for all the replies, very useful.
Secondly, please don't call me an idiot. I'm not an idiot.
Thirdly, are you really saying that I can't legally do ANY of this work myself? Can't remove the old tank, or put the new one on the wall, or wire it up, or anything else which doesn't involve connecting up the pipework?
Again, any replies appreciated.

Oh and the answer to the question. Can I vent the relief valve to the loft without a tundish by the tank?

Yes you can remove the old one & probably fix the new one to the wall. But it'll save you buttons on what you have to pay the installer & open you up to blame shifting if anything goes wrong

I could show numerous videos of engines literally exploding on test beds or on rolling roads but I’ve never seen it in a real life situation and I’ve never heard of it happening either. Doesn’t stop people over revving their engines though. I suppose you could set up any situation to show the worse possible scenario.

I have on large industrial engines not on test beds, but in real locations, one of our engineers had a very narrow and lucky escape when he was running a fire pump engine and the viscous fluid damper failed took out the timing cover and gears and a piston and rod came flying out from the crankcase at quite some rate of knots.

We now equip our engineers with baseball gloves to catch the parts...

Also I've seen a 600kg turbo charger blown of its feet when the engine failed to start because some dickhead turned off the pre-heaters, the turbo and exhaust system was filled with unburnt fuel, when it did eventually ignite KaBOOM.

My point is if something has the potential to be dangerous it's best to be wary of the consequences, always er on the side of what if

Thirdly, are you really saying that I can't legally do ANY of this work myself

Yes of course you can, though anything to do with or connected to the unvented cylinder must be installed by the qualified engineer. Anything else can be done by yourself, if you really want to. As suggested though, anything you do would not normally be covered by your engineer.

Can I vent the relief valve to the loft without a tundish by the tank

No unfortunately you can't, the tundish must be sited close to the cylinder and then on a continuous fall to the outflow.

• Yes of course you can, though anything to do with or connected to the unvented cylinder must be installed by the qualified engineer. Anything else can be done by yourself, if you really want to. As suggested though, anything you do would not normally be covered by your engineer.
No unfortunately you can't, the tundish must be sited close to the cylinder and then on a continuous fall to the outflow.

Ok, thanks. I guess the tank can't go on the ground floor then as there is no way to get to the outside with a fall on the outlet unless there is a way to pump it. But do I need a tundish if the outflow is visible from outside the house, for example a pipe stopping short of a gully?

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/pressure-relief-valve.554818/page-2#ixzz6apiLdxQW

Last edited:
Might need to go in the loft then

Last edited:
do I need a tundish if the outflow is visible from outside the house
Yes a tundish is required within a certain distance from the cylinder. No it can't be pumped, D1 & D2 needs to flow under gravity to the waste/soil/gulley.

Sorry .... your 'read more' link only links to this post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back