Preventing bath edges rubbing against walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know when you have a rendered wall and you screw the bath up against it, there will ultimately be some surface friction. Well I was wondering if there is a tape designed specifically to go between the side edge of a bath and the wall to prevent this?

I guess you could acheive it using silicon but a roll of rubber like tape would be a cleaner job. Something in the range of 3-5mm.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Sponsored Links
Rendered? Do you mean plastered?

I don't understand why you think will be "friction". The bath, if correctly installed, should be fixed to the wall with brackets so that it can't move. The the floor should be rigid and the bath feet screwed to it so that there's no up and down movement.

So if the bath is screwed securely to the wall how is there going to be friction and what harm will it do?
You can get double sided glazing tape but what is the point when you need silicone to seal the edge of the bath?
You can get a blue tack type tape which normally comes with gas hobs and some sink tops to seal them to the worktop. Too much faffing on for me. Just get the silicone out.
I do get the vibe that you are no good at and/or have little confidence in your own ability of using a silicone gun

I mean rendered, sand and cement, not polished, so it has a rough texture. The bath is secured to the wall and the floor, but since it's used as a shower too, when moving within the bath there is bound to be movement.

My aim is nothing to do with sealing the bath, just making it totally silent, I know this sounds like overkill, but I just like it that way :)

I just want to slide the bath out about 4 inches and run the tape along the bath edge, ensuring total coverage on the bath side. If I use silicon, especialy in the cramped conditions I have to work, I doubt I could acheive the same coverage.

Sponsored Links
I mean rendered, sand and cement, not polished, so it has a rough texture.
Oh, OK. You really do mean rendered! :)

The bath is secured to the wall and the floor, but since it's used as a shower too, when moving within the bath there is bound to be movement.
I disagree. I wouldn't expect, or tolerate, movement.

My aim is nothing to do with sealing the bath, just making it totally silent, I know this sounds like overkill, but I just like it that way :)
If the bath is too flexible, then buy one that doesn't flex.

If you're showering over this then are you going to tile the walls?

If so, then the normal process of bath installation, tiling, and using silicone sealant won't allow any movement.

I bought a carronite bath, which isn't flexing, its quite rigid. So we're not talking hugh movement, we're talking a millimetre or two in the vertical sense. It's really just the friction of the sand particles brushing against the edge of the bath which I'd like to eradicate before tiling down and finishing with a silicone seal.

If I put a soft layer inbetween the two hard edges will not meet.

As an example, where my central heating pipes go through my joists I have lined the area with felt like material, so when the pipes expand during heating, there is reduced friction and hence much less noise.

I admit I'm being fussy, but for the sake of a few pounds and 20mins of my time I'd like to do something here before I seal the bath in for a few years.

If I put a soft layer inbetween the two hard edges will not meet.
In that case I would distance the bath from the wall by 2mm, and fill the gap with top quality silicone sealant, such as Dow Corning 785.

I admit I'm being fussy, but for the sake of a few pounds and 20mins of my time I'd like to do something here before I seal the bath in for a few years.
It's your house, so you're entitled to be fussy, but if you stick something to the bath then that thing will also abrade, hence the recommendation to use silicone sealant.

In that case I would distance the bath from the wall by 2mm, and fill the gap with top quality silicone sealant, such as Dow Corning 785.
Yeah I think that's the best route to take. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back