Prime walls before tileing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello....Is it adviseable to use PVA bond...diluted, to prime bathroom walls before tileing? No shower, very little water splash.
I last tiled this bathroom 25 years ago, I did not prime the walls then and although I never had any bother with loose tiles when I removed them recently they came off a bit too easily for my likeing.

Also I have built a wooden frame which the bath sits on, should I prime this new wood?

many thanks for any advice.....Mike

Sponsored Links
Mike63
Is it adviseable to use PVA bond...diluted, to prime bathroom walls before tileing?

No .....
An old pal of mine has written the full thing about this some place , :)
but the laymans guide is the mudmix/adhesive doesnt bond to the substrate /wall but the PVA an the tiles will blow/fail .....

you * can* use pva that is adviced fully developed by the mud/adhesives makers , bal the best mud maker has APD primer..
see here
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/bal_products/products.asp

*wooden frame which the bath sits on, should I prime this new wood? *
are you tiling to this if not ,
just give it a coat of regular wood preserve
hope this helps ;)

THanks Mos....yes, I am tileing the wooden frame...does this make a difference?....Mike

Sponsored Links
Mike
sorry old advice .......

but use a bal TILE-ON-WOoD gear...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back