Priming & painting putty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Recently had a window man around to replace wooden cill on sash window. Before leaving he primed the wood but not a strip of putty which lies horizontal where there is a small step formed where the wooden window frame cill sits on top of the stone cill (get the idea?). What should this putty be primed with?

By the way, I am painting the wooden cill with Dulux white gloss. Does it matter that the temp outside was 1C this morning when I began painting?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks
homeboy

Sponsored Links
Im trying to get an image of what you mean but I cant figure out why he has used putty in a gap.

If I were you id leave it until the weather warms up a bit...wait til the spring.

Then the putty should have skinned up enough to take a coat of undercoat and gloss..

Still cant firgure out why he has used putty though

Zampa

I've just reputtied and sanded down my sash windows and will repaint the windows soon (when putty is ready)

I know now isn't the ideal time to be painting external joinery etc BUT they were in awful condition (no putty left due to cracking and falling out in large areas, paint on windows had flaked off in large spots too) and I moved in late last year. I didn't want to wait.

Anyway, I have left them 4 weeks since puttying as per instructions on putty.

Will they be ok to paint if they have a decent skin on top (I've tried some, they are firmish with what I'd call a decent skin on top)? Or are you saying wait til spring regardless? I'd rather do them now but if that's unwise I'll wait.

Hi

it was the same with me. Cill was rotten & we have had an awful lot of rain up here (Glasgow), more than expected or deserved! Got replaced with first promise of dry spell - but that means lower temperatures.

homeboy

Sponsored Links
They should be ok..try a bit first, if the paint starts 'pulling' and dragging agasint the putty then youl have to leave them a little longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back