Sash windows : painting adds weight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am painting the front face of the house after about 7/8 years since doing it - reluctantly because of rust stains coming through from pegs and wooden board fixings.

Should I do the sash windows, the paint is unblemished but there is an occasional crack in the putty.

I don't want to add weight to the sashes by painting them, perhaps I should leave them, or maybe I should sand them lightly and put a single coat on ?

Or should I just leave them be and deal with any cracked putties, mostly it is on the bottom horizontal putty where there are cracks in the paint.

Sponsored Links
Why would adding weight to your sashes be a problem?.....or is it very heavy lead paint you are using :ROFLMAO:

The sash weights will only have been selected to the nearest 1/2 kilo anyway.

Just deal with the cracked putties - that's a normal Old Skool maintenance technique. If the whole putty needs renewing - prime first - putty - then leave for a couple of weeks to harden - then U/C and gloss. Only do the sashes as and when they need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back