Painting interior of sash windows - keeping mould away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I paint the interior of my single glazed sash windows to prevent a mouldy strip eventually appearing where the glass meets the putty/wooden frame?

Obviously there is going to be some condensation in the winter months and this can create small pools of water, but even exterior 'weathershield' type paints eventually succumb. I have a few windows to repaint and want a longer lasting solution than I have previously had :(.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sadly, whatever you use will succumb to the mould because of the condensation. Double glazing would get rid of the problem, but to help a dehumidifier and ventilating the room will probably do the problem more good than just the paint. You could use that cheap window clingfilm stuff, can help a lot with the puddles of condensation as the heat will not hit the cold glass so much. Or mop it up - my partner makes stained glass and his old house we had to mop up the damp a couple times a day in the winter as we couldn't open the window anymore, or look into some of those moisture absorber's that are on the market.

Or you just accept that you have to paint more often than normal?!!

Wot blightyman said, above. The only long term solution is to remove the cause of the condensation mould.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back