Ronseal exterior paint - problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I painted some sash and case windows with Ronseal 7 year exterior paint. After a few weeks thepaintbstarted crazing and lifting. For example it lifted all of the paint on the putty. I contacted Ronseal who stated that it was poor prep.

So this year I stripped the cills and the bottom rail on the lower sashes (thats the areas that seemed to be affected by the crazing). I followed the instructions to the letter, ie sand then wipe down with white spirit. Now after less than two weeks the paint is flaking and crazing again.

This year I used 10 year paint as the 7 year paint was discontinued.

The previous two times the windows had been painted we used Homebases's own brand exterior paint and we had no problems at all. This paint is oil based whereas the Ronseal paint s water based.

Am going to complain to Ronseal but expect they will give the usual line of poor or wrong prep.

Anyone else had similar problems?

I fear I will need to strip everything next year again. I have a fe windows still to do as I had to redo putty on them and there's no way Ronseal will be going any where near them.

Sponsored Links
I completely sympathise with you and your experience. I didn't use Ronseal but I used Johnstones StormShield Flexible Gloss on my windows. It barely lasted 6 months. I contacted the manufacturer who said it was poor prep. They came out only to report that under testing it appeared that the bottom layer of primer was the problem..... unbelievable.
They offered me £300 to snag the issues on the proviso that I go away and not contact them again. I refused the money, and snagged at my own cost. As an experiment I painted one window with the Dulux equivalent. I have to say that the Johnstones windows are all cracking and in some cases the paint and primer are peeling off, and the Dulux one has done ok. Johnstones say their stormshield lasts 10 years. They say it is flexible micro porous paint. I can absolutly tell you that this is not true. So far I would have had a better result using regular emulsion. I am not happy. Does anyone have any suggestions for an exterior wood paint that is fit for purpose?

I've got to say I have not had any problems with stormshield. It may just be that you have had a faulty product. Johnstones have a great range of products, and a great reputation, but mistakes can be made. My first choice for external gloss systems is dulux weathershield.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I have dulux weather shield on one window. So far it has out performed storm shield.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back