Exterior Brown Paint - water based or not ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have brown painted wooden window frames that need a coat, the sills need filling and also a coat.

Previously I have used tetrion to fill and a Ronseal 'Diamond Hard' paint ... after just six months of the south facing sun - it didn't last, before flaking and peeling.

This time round I am looking to use a better combination ... finding a brown paint that will withstand the elements is proving difficult though.

Ronseal recommend ... Ronseal High Performance Filler - Dark, with Ronseal '10 Year Weatherproof Wood Paint' chesnut (or some other woody shade).

But like the Diamond Hard its water based, which I am not a fan of ... any better solutions that might be solvent based, appreciated, or has anyone favourable experience with this Weatherproof Paint ...

Thanks ...

Sponsored Links
Dark paints absorb a lot more UV light than lighter colours and become much hotter, leading to the wood expanding and contracting more and that movement often pushes fillers out and allows water ingress.

I would advise against using powder based fillers outside. 2 pack fillers are better but epoxy resin fillers are even better (but much more expensive).

When you take about paints are you referring to woodstains or paints?

Sadolins make some very good oil based wood stains but if they are applied when it is too cold they take ages to dry. Wood stains allow you to see the grain in the wood, pretty much like coloured varnishes do. Unfortunately if you use the wrong coloured filler it will be obvious. BTW you can tint 2 pack filler with dark emulsion if required but I have never tried to do it with epoxy resin.

If you do go for Sadolins I would recommend thinking about sanding back to the bare wood first.

If you are talking about standard paints, then I would use Dulux Trade Weathershield (oil based) gloss.

I bought some Ronseal High Performance filler, says it contains styrene on the tin, but not whether it is a Epoxy, it is 2 part so assume it is that.

Presume a stain provides less of a seal than a paint, I am looking ti seal the frames from the elements.

Thanks for the Dulux recommendation, Oil based ! :)

The ONLY exterior water based paint that I will use is Dulux Weathershield. In fact that is the only water based paint that I do use. Water based paints are junk. They have poor coverage and brush marks do not disappear like they do with oil based paints. Unfortunately since the snowflakes got at the paint companies oil based paints are becoming more and more difficult to find.

Sponsored Links
Its the cill's that really need some treatment, lots of cracks to be filled, few years of neglect - but seem solid still.

Ronseal High Performance Filler is an Epoxy filler.

Weathersheild Gloss 'conker' is oil based as you say.

Normally I strip out pld windows and replace with maintenance free uPVC, but these are Everest Aluminium units in hardwood frames, so worth keeping - was looking for some sort of plastic 'cover' for the cills, but have thought about resin flat roofing solutions, could this be painted on the cill (with the fibre glass sheeting included), then over painted with the Weathershield (oil based) paint.

Ronseal High Performance Filler is an Epoxy filler.

It isn't an epoxy, it is polyester resin filler.

This is an example of an epoxy resin filler

http://www.chemfix.co.uk/products/t...imbabuild-epoxy-wood-repair/timbabuild-ehb60/

They are far more expensive than the polyester resin fillers.

With regards to use GRP for the sills, I would be worried about the sheets delaminating and letting the water completely ruin the timber sills. I have seen people use lead sheeting in the past. In each case the lead has simply masked the deterioration.

Thanks for setting the record straight and the link, this chap needs to research his subjects more: https://gosforthhandyman.com/how-to-use-2-part-fillers/

This is a good explanation:
https://www.aeromarineproducts.com/polyester-resin-vs-epoxy-resin/

Good point with the GRP, guess its all about getting whatever you are using to key, otherwise as you say water getting behind will cause worse damage.

Is there anything I need to know about using the oil based Gloss Dulux Weathersheild on such an Epoxy resin, presume surface should not be sanded too fine, to allow a key.

To be fair I used to call them epoxy resin fillers as well until I discovered the difference.

I normally sand 2 pack and epoxy with 100g and then apply a coat of DWS primer. The fillers don't need priming but in the process of sanding you are likely to go back to bare wood (which obviously needs priming). If you only need to spot prime a very small amount of timber, rather than buying the DWS primer just use any old wasterbased primer.

Thanks Opps.

Think I need to look more into the Sadolins you've suggested, rathe than an oil based brown paint, you can see through the old paint/stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back