Primer, undercoat and gloss .. For 8 new doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had 8 doors fitted, so now it's time for me to paint them :(

The joiner explained that I should prime the edges, then undercoat and gloss the whole door.

I have always used oil-based paints, but with doors, the drying time may be too long and awkward too, so he recommended water-based paints.

Which brands are good ?

Normally I've just used Wilko paint, but as stated above have had no experience with their water-based products.

Roughly how much paint will be required to undercoat / gloss 16 door faces ?

thanks !

Sponsored Links
I usually use primer, the "Leyland Arcylic primer undercoat" and paint with "Dulux Satinwood Quick Dry" Water based. 2 coats of each and 240g sand in between coats. 2.5L of each should suffice. I dilute 10% water for each first coat.

Dulux Satin wood do water and solvent based, the quick dry is water based.

You can use Wilko but won't save much money, I haven't used that brand but should work.

I am not a fan of waterbased paints. I don't like they way they flow. I don't like the fact that they raise the grain.

That said, I too use the cheap Leyland trade acrylic primer, largely because it is dream to sand. Most water based undercoats are a pig to sand.

Which ever paint you go for, use the trade version, it will cost about 20-30% more but will give much better coverage- ie. you will need fewer coats.

When painting doors with oil based paint, I add terebine to speed up the curing time. A coat of oil based eggshell will be touch dry in under 4 hours. Granted, waterbased at this time of year will be touch dry after an hour.

If you go for waterbased, add some Floetrol to help the paint flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back