Priming MDF Wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building carcasses for a few built in wardrobes. When they are complete should I prime both inside and outside before putting them in place or is this overkill?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't think so. Priming will cause the grain to raise and you'll have to cut this back (sand) and possibly reprime and resand the edges before installation. It depends on how good a finish you find acceptable, really

I want the best finish I can get so I will be priming and sanding a couple of times before the top coat goes on.

It's just that I'm not sure if I should give the outside of the wardrobes a coat of primer or not even though these bits wont be seen. If I do that it obviously won't need sanding between coats. It would be more for a bit more durability than anything.

I want the best finish I can get so I will be priming and sanding a couple of times before the top coat goes on.

It's just that I'm not sure if I should give the outside of the wardrobes a coat of primer or not even though these bits wont be seen. If I do that it obviously won't need sanding between coats. It would be more for a bit more durability than anything.
Firstly, before priming the edges you really need to work up through the grits from about P120 to P240. The finer you go the less the grain seems to raise when you prime. Because of the fibrous nature of MDF it is often better to prime and sand the edges 2 or 3 times before applying the top coat.

The surface of MDF is sometimes contaminated with traces of oil or other contaminants from the presses in which it is produced, so smooth or no if you apply a finishing coat straight onto it you can get inconsistent glossiness (i.e. dull patches or mottling) unless you first seal with an undercoat. it doesn't happen all the time, but you say you want the best finish - that only comes from not skipping any steps. As to between coats, paint and lacquer finishes ALWAYS require denibbing between coats for the best finish, although this only needs to be a quick scoot over with Scotch maroon or grey cloth or a P320 grit alox paper. Obviously this only applies to visible surfaces. For the back (unseen) surfaces I'd be satisfied to just give it a couple of coats of primer in order to seal it. Nothing more is necessary

Sponsored Links
I fairly happy with the process with the priming. I just wasn't sure that I should prime the rear of the wardrobes or not. Now i will though. I am going to put face frames on so I won't have that much end grain to work on and any that i do have to work on, I think I'm going to cheat and apply real wood edging to save me some work. So far the wardrobes are looking good though.

Seems to me the OP isn't just on about the edges of the MDF. If the OP is on about the outsides and insides of the wardrobes (as opposed to just the edges) I'd advise to prime both sides equally. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back