problem draing ch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i tried to drain down my central heating system today, however i failed. i have 2 drain cocks located downstairs. 1 in the hallway and 1 in the dining room. the boiler is britony combi 100. i connected a hose to hallway drain cock and turned the square thing but nothing came out i cudnt remove it out all the way as it stops turning. i took hose off the and tried the one in dining room, this one lets water come out but only dripping and nothing came out the hose end just dripping out from where i connected the hose to the drain cock. i took hose off and just put a bucket there opened the cock and all i got was fast dripping (btw this one didnt screwout all the way either. at the moment i have 1 rad connected only eventually there will be seven. i hav a few questions

1 why did it not it drain?

2. is there any tool i can use or buy to make turning the square on the draincock an easy job

3. on the rooms where there are no rad connected all i have is flow and return pipes with valves on them and are set to closed position. do they need to be in opened position for system to drain down?

4 how can i drain down without the use of drain cock. could i use the valves instead?

5 do both pipes in system need draining the flow and return

6 if i can drain from valves do i have to do it on all rad or just any one downstairs

thanks

Sponsored Links
1 why did it not it drain?
washer stuck?
2. is there any tool i can use or buy to make turning the square on the draincock an easy job
You can buy a key but just use pliers
3. on the rooms where there are no rad connected all i have is flow and return pipes with valves on them and are set to closed position. do they need to be in opened position for system to drain down?
It would help
4 how can i drain down without the use of drain cock. could i use the valves instead?
See above
5 do both pipes in system need draining the flow and return
If you figure out how to empty just the one, let me know
6 if i can drain from valves do i have to do it on all rad or just any one downstairs
Depends on if they are drop feeds

1 what can i do regards the stuck washer?

2. if the valves were set to open position, as i dont have many rads connected at the moment water would be pouring out of every valve that is open or am i missing something

thanks

you didn't say if you opened the bleed valve on the rad at the highest point - allowing air in at the top is a good move.

jam a screwdriver up the drain off spout and wiggle, it could also be clagged up, you can unscrew the insert from body carefully and see what this does (with plenty of towels and a tea tray to protect your flooring).

if you shut down the valves on the rad, two people can usually spring the tails off, jam a thumb over rad tail holes and invert/carry out to garden to drain - then you can bodge a hose tail onto the each of the valves to drain.

Sponsored Links
i opened a bleed valve on the bathroom towel rail water kept coming out of bleed valve but not much cumming out of the drain cock.

there is only one radiator on the wall at the moment all others are waiting to go on.

"if you shut down the valves on the rad, two people can usually spring the tails off, jam a thumb over rad tail holes and invert/carry out to garden to drain - then you can bodge a hose tail onto the each of the valves to drain"

all rads are of apart one so can i drain using the valves i can get one in the hallway to open but the other side doesnt want to open.

1. will opening the one valve on one side drain the system ? or does the valves on both sides need to be drained.

2 do ALL the valves have to be in open position for the system to be drained down via either drain cock or using the valve method? as mentoned only one rad actually fitted on wall to the system. so opening all the valves will mean water every where where no rad is on the wall. so if anyone can please confirm for me in order to drain the system do all valves need to be in open or closed position baring in mind only one rad on the wall
thanks

If you havent got rads on then connect to a rad valve downstairs and drain from there. Then sort the drain offs for future use.

thanks
1 do i need to connect to both valves or just one and drain off?
2 do all other valves need to be open or closed or doesnt matter? as i aint got no rad apart form one on upstairs

thanks

TBH I think you may be a bit out your depth here.
If the rads are off the wall just open the valves and drain from there. Once it is drained fit new drain valves.
If you are still not sure, best get someone in.

i understand but im sure once i do it i will be okay for future but thanks for your honesty

. i drained the system yesteday via the downstairs hallway radiators 2 valves and also bleed the one raditor fitted which is upstairs and opened all valves upstairs no water came out. i fited trv and lockshield valve in upstairs bedroom. when i went to remove downstairs valves in lounge water was still there. the one valve i let it slowly drip to finish the fitted trv on. the other i thought was just light driping when removed i had a fountin of water about half meter. i slammed valve back on tightend the nut and connected a hose to it and opened valve. once finished i then fitted the lockshield valve on it. aint got n flooring so it where ok

where did this water come from? if i opened the valve to drain system in the hallway (downstairs) i have 4 rads upstairs and 3 downstairs. thanks

probably an airlock. there is air in a pipe at some spot, the water wants to drain away, but the air creates suction as the water tries to move. then later on a pipe gets knocked, a valve gets opened or a bit of air moves somewhere over time and the airlock loses it's hold on the water and hey presto - cream carpet no longer entirely cream.

probably right either way lucky as no flooring down as yet. i thought id get each room finished decoration wise and get the rads on before the skirts get painted and the flooring is laid down.

Also iam understanding how the system works so i can do basic maintainance such as drain,refill, flush, take rad on off, change valve etc myself. therefore for someone who dont really know much on the situation this is i suppose the only and the best time i can that. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back