Problem lowering water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have a Glow-worm 24cxi combi boiler. The water pressure had lowered a couple of days ago, so as usual, I raised the pressure very slightly (as I have done on several occasions), but when I closed the valve when it reached 1.0, the pressure kept rising and stopped at 3.4. This caused a couple of leaks, so we turned the boiler off and turned the cold water inlet tap off, which stopped the leaks, as it was very late in the day.

Now we are trying to get everything put right. When we drain the water from the boiler or from the radiators, the pressure goes down, as expected, but as soon as we let water go through the water inlet tap, the pressure rises quickly again and we can't seem to get it to stablise.

We just need a bit of advice on how to get the pressure permanently down.

Sorry if I seem a complete novice, I am! But I learn quickly.
Thanks
Donna

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I didn't make the bit about the leaks very clear at all. The leaks only appear when the pressure gets very high, one when it gets to 3.0, which our manual suggests is what is supposed to happen, and the other one is when it gets a couple of notches higher than that from the reduced pressure zone valve, where it seem to pump out of, so presumably, they're just from the pressure overflowing?

erm it how i find leaks in a boiler by increasing the presure
probably why you topped up in the first place

but just bled a rad to get water out

Sponsored Links
Aah, thank you, so that would probably be why it had been falling slightly anyway! Right, I'll get that sorted.

But, if I bleed the radiators, with the water going through the inlet tap, the pressure doesn't seem to stop going up. We took it down from 3.0 to 1.0 with the tap off, turned the tap back on, and it raised pretty quickly. Am I missing something here please?

Thank you

had this on my nans filling loop

make sure you push it closed as hard as possible as some times they get stiff.

also if you cannot turn off the filling loop it may be the valve is jammed

water can only get into the boiler via that tap, so if u've drained it all off turned on and it instantly fills and pressure rises thats where i would look

p.s. im only going on 1 council fitted boiler as i know f*** all about plumbing

Okay, my oh opened it a little and rammed it shut and tried turning the inlet tap on again and the pressure is still rising pretty fast. Could the filling loop be broken? Could that cause it do you think please?

Thanks.

I'm no plumber, I'm afraid, but as the loop valve controls the incoming pressure into the system and it isn't shutting off, it does seem that the valve is faulty. But as someone else said, the water must be weeping somewhere for the need to repressurise it in the first place. Guess you need to fix the valve first, then look for leaks.

PS wouldn't run it without fixing the pressure issue first!

Thank you Micky. Do you have an idea of how much these cost? I'm thinking, even if we have to get someone in to change it, I'd like to have an idea how much I should be charged.

Thank you.

PPS. Just read this from your earlier reply:

But, if I bleed the radiators, with the water going through the inlet tap, the pressure doesn't seem to stop going up. We took it down from 3.0 to 1.0 with the tap off, turned the tap back on, and it raised pretty quickly. Am I missing something here please?

So leave it off!

But, like I said, I'm no plumber...

Yes Micky, will do. We've only been turning it on to check if anything has worked, but it's off atm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back