Problem with Baxi Solo 3 PFL Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have not long moved into a property with a Baxi Solo 3 PFL Boiler. Last week we noticed we had no hot water.
When we turn the boiler on, the 'boiler on' light flickers continuously, the fan light comes on, and then nothing else.
Does anybody have any idea what we can try? I have turned the switch all the way off and waited and turned it back on, nothing, and turned the fuse on and off at the fuse box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Roy

Sponsored Links
Obviously there is a fault but without checking inside the boiler I could not say exactly whats at fault but the PCB would be a strong contender.

Have you bought one of the fancy small houses with cream and dark brickwork built around a square to the NE of Leamington?

Tony

Hi

No its one of the relatively new houses in Cawston, Rugby, about 5 years old.

I'm going to show my ignorance here, what does PCB stand for? And how do i rectify this? I assume i need to call somebody out...

thanks

Roy

Printed circuit board, it controls the functions of the boiler.

You need to call someone who will be able to diagnose the actual fault but have the PCB with him as its quite likely that has failed. The other possibilities are less likely and some may just involve cleaning or adjustment.

If it were the PCB then we would charge about £84 + £86 to give you an idea of the likely costs, but the fan is probably more than the PCB.

I have only done a few repairs in Rugby, one being a diverter valve in an old Ravenheat which is a knuckle scraping job!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for that, its great to have a rough idea of the cost.

Can I have your contact details please, I'll have a look around but if anyone else looks like they are trying to rip us off I will come back to you.

Thanks again for the help

Roy

You have to look in my profile for my contact details but I will not be in L/S until next Tuesday-Friday.

Tony

As usual Tony prices his work at what can only be described as running at a loss :rolleyes:

A realistic price for replacing a solo 3 pcb would be £225 + VAT.

If Tony is getting a board for £86 then it has probably been made by Chad Valley :LOL:

I had to guess at a price for the PCB and I agree that my guess was a bit on the low side. The best net price I can quickly find is £108.

However, I have several in stock for which we would have paid a historic price. Our standard diagnostic prices are based on London prices whereas in Coventry sometimes the third world people charge significantly less.

Baxi has greatly increased the prices of many of their spares over the last three years and I doubt that we paid any more than £86 when we bought the PCBs.

In any case it may well not be the PCB anyway.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back