Problem with central heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a Grundfos central heating pump 15/60. It looks relatively new, although it is at least 8 years old, in that it's clean with no leaks or corrosion. The issue is that its not pumping. I've removed the bleed screw and I'm able to freely rotate it, so it's not jammed and I've used a voltmeter and the electrics seem fine. From reading around it seems that it needs replacing, but before I do is there anything else that I can try? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem some time ago. There's a start up capacitor inside the connector block housing. It had 'dried out' with the heat. A replacement soon had the pump up and running again.

With the bleed removed and pump s/w on, does the impeller spin?

Thanks for the reply. No it doesn't. Some water and steam comes out. I have thought of taking the pump head off just to see whether there is anything obviously wrong. Would that be a good idea?

Sponsored Links
If you are a baggies fan I don't know why helping you but here goes! :p

If you have 230 at live, tested across L and E and L and N and spinning it doesn't kick it into life, (proves capacitor is not atvfault) then it does sound like new pump time I'm afraid.

Boing boing

Jon

If you are a baggies fan I don't know why helping you but here goes! :p

If you have 230 at live, tested across L and E and L and N and spinning it doesn't kick it into life, (proves capacitor is not atvfault) then it does sound like new pump time I'm afraid.

Boing boing

Jon

Thanks for the advice. Yes there is voltage over both of them. Come on you baggies!

Thanks for the advice. Yes there is voltage over both of them. Come on you baggies!

Well I can only hope that your heating fails miserably and you suffer a cold cold winter!

Otherwise it's new pump mate.

I'm villa hence the banter.

Good luck with the heating if you need owt else let us know.

Jon

Just a quick question about which pump to buy. I was going to replace with a Grundfos but noticed that you get a Parker pump for £42 on the link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parker-Cen...79544229&sr=8-1&keywords=central+heating+pump

I appreciate that Grundfos clearly have a good reputation, but we are hoping to replace our system as its an old fashioned boiler, single pipe system in the next few years. My question is with a new condensing boiler can you use the existing pump? If so I may well pay the extra and get the Grundfos. Many thanks

@baggielad generally the combination boiler will have the pump built into it so the existing pump would be removed if you are converting the system.

Depends on the size of your property, amount of bathrooms and the usage patterns but combinations are only really suitable to small 1 bath properties as they will struggle to cope with two outlets at one time.

If you have decent incoming flow and pressure you could look at an unvented cylinder that will give you mains pressure hot water and a balanced cold supply, keeping the new pump and a heat only condensing boiler.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back