Problem with cold water to shower and basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The shower runs off a bath mixer tap. In the mornings, very little cold water comes through the shower head unless you open the cold water tap on the basin and then close it again (this isn't always effective tho! & more often than not the shower water temp is too hot).
Also, sometimes hot water can be drawn through the cold tap on the basin!?

The bathroom is supplied with hot water from a direct cylinder & cold water is supplied via a storage tank. It looks as tho' there's a pump situated at the base of the cylinder cupboard but it doesn't work.

Do you think that replacing the pump/ getting it working again will sort out the problems? Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The only thing I'm not sure about now you mention it is the pump - perhaps it's linked to the central heating ?? (supplied by a combi boiler). Has 15mm pipes extending upwards towards the bathroom (no other room next to the bathroom - it's in the highest point of the house). I've just had a look & it doesn't actually look connected to the cylinder - just sits by the side of it.

If it's nothing to do with the pump, perhaps I should get a pressure equalising valve or a new mixer shower for the bath (a thermostatic one) fitted??

Any advice would be massively appreciated.
cheers
CT

If you`ve got a Combi boiler..why is there still a hot water cylinder :?: You really need to ascertain exactly what you`ve got before any sensible advice can be given........beware there are ****takers takers lurking :LOL: :comes with the territory.........that`s No. 21 of the things you love to hate about builders ;)

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
If you`ve got a Combi boiler..why is there still a hot water cylinder :?: You really need to ascertain exactly what you`ve got before any sensible advice can be given........beware there are p****d takers lurking :LOL: :comes with the territory.........that`s No. 21 of the things you love to hate about builders ;)

Thanks for the reply :)
I'm guessing that the combi boiler sends hot water to be stored in the cylinder. The immersion heaters, I presume, keep it at a certain temperature (ie over 60 deg C)? Does this make any sense :?:

CThompson said:
Nige F said:
......beware there are p****d takers lurking :LOL: :comes with the territory.........that`s No. 21 of the things you love to hate about builders ;)

Thanks for the reply :)
I'm guessing that the boiler sends hot water to THE RADS and a coil inside the INDIRECT cylinder via a pump . The CYLINDER THERMOSTAT keeps it at a certain temperature (ie over 60 deg C)? Does this make any sense :?:
It does now :D...But It might not be what you`ve got there......Ah Bath mixer :!: turn the water supplies off to it and take the taps bodies out see if they are opening properly.........or bite the bullet and get a plumber :cry: Someone may have put in a separate cylinder heated by immersion.feeding the bathroom independant of the rest of the system...Like I`ve got here@ home :eek: Argghhhhh Maybe the pump in the airing cupd. is a broken shower pump :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back