Problem with Ideal Elan 2 - Hot Water Setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem with an Ideal Elan 2 boiler when it’s set to hot water. If I turn the boiler setting from Low to High, the boiler will start to whistle and then a short while later it will turn off. The tank thermostat is set to (60 - Is this too high?) but it’s not getting hot enough to turn the system off, also the water isn't very hot. On low we get no whistling, also no whistling when the central heating and or heating/water are used either.

I've also replace the three way valve which is now working correctly, between heating and hot water, also bringing the boiler on correctly. The pump is on full speed (3), and I’ve checked for any air in the rads. Also drained and refilled the system after the above work.

The only things I have noticed is the diameter of the pipes going to the hot water tank are smaller than the ones for central heating. Could this cause a problem?

The system has been like this for a while, not sure how long as I’ve not long moved in.

Any help is appreciated,
Mat

Sponsored Links
I tried to slow the pump down last night and that made things worse. Does that help at all?

You only have 15mm pipe going to the cylinder instead of 22mm?
if so that seems odd, sounds like there is a blockage of some kind, our new boiler has 22mm pipes for the whole circuit.
Is there a 15mm pipe connected directly to the 3 way valve or does it drop to smaller pipe elsewhere?

Yeah it does drop from the larger pipes.

I have the same pipe working going from the boiler right up to the three way valve. The CH pipework is the same size, the hot water pipework starts off at this size then uses a smaller pipe for a short length enters the the tank and exits back into the return boiler pipework all at this small diameter.

Where the HW pipe work rejoins i also have a bypass valve and again this is using the smaller pipework.

I can see me taking all this out and correcting it..... :(

Sponsored Links
Presumably your heating circuit is 22mm or old 3/4" & the smaller piping is 15mm or older 1/2".
Check if your hot cylinder has got a bleed screw where the pipe enters the coil, older systems often had one, it may be hard to see, my old tank had just a small screw in the brass fitting which I never knew was there but spotted it when it was all renewed

Yes you are spot on, It is using 22mm for most of the pipe work then moving down to 15mm to enter the hot water tank.

I'm just wondering now if its been converted from electric to gas ch/hw.

Also had a good look for the bleed screw but i cant see anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back