problem with my Potterton Profile 80e boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can any one help me? When I switch the boiler on it will initially light and after a few minutes the main burner goes out. The pilot light is staying on and is not sparking. It did light and run today for an hour and then went out and would not relight. I have a grundfoss circulating pump which is running and have individual thermostats on the radiators. The motorised valve was set on heating and hot water but has now turned round to CH only. Is this because I have put the immersion on for hot water? The control box is a Potterton EP2001 and the switchable valve is a switchmaster. It was working OK one day then nothing the next. When it tries to fire up there is sometimes a clicking noise from under the boiler. Have checked the reset button and it is not that. Any help greatly appreciated. Its freezing!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a possible boiler pcb problem...often broken joints.

As for the switchmaster these are obsolete and with the hot water selected it should not be set to heating so the valve may require replacing.

if the pilot is staying on with a 80e boiler i would suspect the gas valve as this boiler does not, i believe, have a permanent pilot

most boilers that have a pilot do not spark. if it is indeed the 80e i am thinking of, you should turn it off completely and call and rgi asap, nothing should be alight if there is no call for heat or hot water.

Sponsored Links
Either the first section ( pilot ) is letting by or the second stage solenoid is failing after a short while.

Both of these are faults that I have encountered.

Tony

If you have a white rogers gas valve then I agree as above but if the gas valve is a honeywell with 2 red solenoids I very much doubt it will be that.
I would suspect the PCB as mentioned the dry joints are repairable (so ive heard)

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back