problem with new towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a new heated towel rail which is not heating up properly. It is connected to the hot water system (as was my previous radiator) and contains a dual function element at the inlet side which is not yet connected to the electrics. The inlet pipe has a thermostatic valve which is on full, the shield valve also seems to be fully open (it has a plastic cover which I turned as far as it would go in the + direction). The inlet pipe is very hot, but the towel rail is only just warm. Could it be a gravity related problem? the top of the towel rail is about 70 cms above the top of the water cylinder? Any ideas anyone? I tried bleeding it, but there is no air in the towel rail. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
had a few posts about this sort of thing recently.

need to know a bit more about the system

do you have a pump

do you have a motorised valve (or even two), if so how many pipes run into it.

the water may be relying on convection currents to circulate.

the general concensus is that if it is a gravity system the water may not circulate unless the inlet (flow) pipe is conected to the top of the radiator and the return pipe conected at the bottom.

No pump on the hot water. The inlet and outlet are both at the bottom.

I think it is relying on convection. It's the same warmth right to the top.

What is a motorised valve? would this be a cheap-ish way to improve the situation?

Sounds like it could be turned off...

the shield valve also seems to be fully open (it has a plastic cover which I turned as far as it would go in the + direction).

Take the lockshield valve's plastic cover off - which may be hard. Then turn the shaft inside anticlockwise a couple of turns. That should be effectively wide open, and turning it any further may starve the rest of the system.
If it stays cold try opening it further, but as above, it may well be another non-designed gravity "circuit".

Sponsored Links
Tried the opening valve suggestion, but it is fully open and made no difference.
Is the best solution to reconnect the towel rail onto the central heating circuit (the heating pipes are right next to the hot tank pipes going from the bottom of the airing cupboard to the rail) or should I be considering a separate pump on the hot water circuit? Sorry if this is silly q, new to plumbing!
Thanks, K.

are you sure there is not a valve like this before you start cutting into that heating circuit.

valve_2.jpg

The trv may be the wrong way round. Eg. Draytons are bi directional in an angled version but not in the straight version, so you have to follow the arrow. (And don't assume that the wheel was actually on the feed on the old rad in the first place).

Is the trv valve the thermostat on the right (inlet) pipe? I tested it by turning it down, it made the bit between the valve and the actual towel rail (the Tpiece) cooler, so i think 6 (which it currently shows) is on full.

Regarding the other valve pictured, there is nothing like that. Is that a motorised valve? the current set up is: airing cupboard with hot tank, pipes to and from hot cylinder, 2 connectors to pipes at below floor level with what look like screws on the top which I presume closes the connectors, then plastic? pipes to and from the towel rail which go under the floor and are connected to 2 small copper pieces which go up to the towel rail. No other sorts of valves anywhere.

Thanks for helping. K

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back