problem with our fridge/freezer - no manual - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When we bought this house last year I also purchased a second-hand fridge-freezer. It's an Apollo A-Class. I can't find a manual for it online.

Recently, for no apparent reason it gives off a loud vibrating sound that seems to come from the printed circuit board which sits just behind the panel in the picture below. It's accompanied by a flickering of both lights (the "super" light and the "on/off" lights). After this event today (when the noise stopped), the "super" light was on. I also noticed when I grabbed a soft drink from the fridge a few hours later that it was quite warm. The "super" light was still on. Since then, I've switched the appliance off at the socket and I can now hear the compressor running, so I assume it's running ok.

My questions are:

- what is this "super" function? Is it to do with defrosting?
- what can cause the vibrating noise and flickering of the lights? What can I do to solve this problem? Is it worth having a look at the PCB?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Suprtfreeze is a bypass of thermostatic control.
On some fridge freezers this is temporary and only runs for a set period of time before it passes temperature control back to the thermostat. On others you have to manually turn the superfreeze back off.

It is used to quickly get the temperature down in the freezer by not allowing the fridge thermostat to turn the compressor on and off as it would normally

Most Fridge freezers have this function.

As for the noise. could be several things.

1) Poor connection causing arcing
2) system noises. The refrigerant changes state from liquid to gas and back again as it is pumped around the system. Gurgling, boiling noises are common and can be mistaken for other things. Also Ice when it melts can be heard cracking
The compressor could also be the cause when it starts up.

Noise can be transferred from one part of an appliance to another if metal is secured to metal, which it often is.

You would have to investigate this further.

As long as it isn't No.1, which is unlikely i wouldnt be too concerned.
As for neons flickering, that aint worth worrying abnout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back