Problem with Remeha Avanta Plus 30S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would appreciate your views on the problem detailed below (which is an extract of a note sent to Baxi). I am not a Gas Safe Engineer or am I intending to try and fix the boiler. This issue is covered under warranty but the Heat Team has given up and are now wanting to replace the boiler with a new Baxi Eco Blue System boiler (which I'm not too keen on given Baxi's reputation, and the fact that it's still too new to gauge reliability).

My gut feeling is that a seal or a joint is leaking related to the heat exchanger. I'd like to continue to challenge the Heat Team to fix the existing boiler so any other thoughts or ideas (or similar experiences) would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

==========================================================
Problem Statement: Boiler pressure slowly dropping (approx. 0.2 bar per week)

Checks completed prior to Service Call #1 (as recommended by Heat Team technical support):

a) Normal running pressure is around 1.9bar

b) All radiator valves and other possible sources of leaks checked and eliminated

c) Check for discharge from the pressure relief discharge pipe

d) Isolated (disconnected) top up feed pipe

e) Switched off boiler, primed to 2 bar and isolated the flow and return (outlet and inlet valves) on the boiler – pressure still dropped despite the boiler being isolated.

Service Call #1

Action: Heat Exchanger and Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) replaced
Result: Pressure still dropping slowly (0.1bar every 3 days)

Comments: Engineer was adamant that there was no issue with the boiler. Further tests
revealed that when the boiler was isolated whilst cold (inlet and outlet valves closed) pressure was still dropping.

Service Call #2

Action: Engineer checked system and placed bag on pressure relief discharge pipe

Result: Pressure still dropping and water was dripping slowly from discharge pipe

Comments: This was a new fault appears to have been generated by Service Call #1. Once again the Engineer was adamant that there was no issue with the boiler despite the fact that further tests continued to evidence the pressure dropping even when the boiler was isolated.

Service Call #3

Action: Engineer checked system and fitted another PRV

Result: Pressure still dropping slowly (approx. 0.2 bar per week) but no water was discharging from the pressure relief pipe.

Comments: Further tests revealed that the pressure dropping correlated with an internal
leak within the boiler evidenced by water dripping from the condensate pipe despite the boiler being isolated and stone cold.
==========================================================

Sponsored Links
Remeha Avantas were bigged up relentlessly on this very forum by many of the 'regulars' a few years ago.

They proved to be total crap in service - if you have been offered anything else free in place of this junk by Baxi (who are owned by De Dietrich Remeha), take it with gratitude and relief. Couldn't be any worse than what you have now.

The "new" Ecoblue is little more than a rebadged previous model with better sound insulation, a different pump, and a version of the control panel from the GA range. The only genuinely new bit is the pump If they're offering it to you for free, go for it

Sponsored Links
Remeha Avantas were bigged up relentlessly on this very forum by many of the 'regulars' a few years ago.

They proved to be total crap in service - if you have been offered anything else free in place of this junk by Baxi (who are owned by De Dietrich Remeha), take it with gratitude and relief. Couldn't be any worse than what you have now.

Not me. I have been bigging up the mighty Gash for 11 years now, and I'm pleased to say with some justification. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back