Problems loading files into new laptop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new laptop (running under XP media centre) to replace my desktop that had expired. I have got so far as loading all my important files from a memory stick on to the hard drive. Trouble is it takes ages to load these files in the conventional way. What I mean here is to load a Word file or an Excel spreadsheet going via My Computer -> My Documents -> clicking on the target file seems to take about 2 minutes which seems ridiculous as the laptop has a 2.2Ghz chip and memory of 2Gb! :eek: What is odd is that if I click on Start then click on Office 2003 all of the required can be loaded pretty much instantly. Anybody have ideas as to what the problem might be? Any advice much appreciated.

Just one thing, I may take some while to get back to any responses as I am currently posting from a friends home. Subsequently I will be in the local library until such time as I get a new connection set up, hopefully during next week. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
perhaps your lap top has usb1 and your old pc usb2

i installed usb 2 card in my desktop, much faster then it was

You don't mention which anti-virus package you are using, but I have seen this caused by some Symantec products.

breezer said:
perhaps your lap top has usb1 and your old pc usb2

i installed usb 2 card in my desktop, much faster then it was

The way I read the post, the files have already been copied to the HD. It's when they are being opened by association that the process is slow, but when opened from within the application, things are fine.

Sponsored Links
The files are getting loaded onto the hard drive successfully but I think I lacked a bit of clarity using the word load twice:

Katie_Jennings said:
....it takes ages to load these files in the conventional way. What I mean here is to load a Word file or an Excel spreadsheet...

Anyway all is well as I got through to Dell early this morning and the guy recommended deleting the pre-installed Mcafee stuff. You might ask why have it installed anyway if it has to be deleted subsequently? He also recommended getting rid of a CLI.exe (for graphics or something) and hey presto it works fine. :D

Igorian mentioned Symantec stuff being possible cause and I have a couple of friends say the same about this and Mcafee. Anyway it's firing so I will just have to remember to get some decent anti-virus and firewall software loaded when I get the connection next week. Thanks guys! ;)

zone alarm is a good free fire wall, and AVG is a good free anti virus

Thanks, Breezer...I shall load both of those as well as AD-Aware and Spybot which always seem good. Windows Defender I am less sure about as well as the Windows Firewall...unless anyone knows different of course?

Sponsored Links
Back