Problems with my one pipe system, I´m desperate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a one pipe system in an old terraced house I recently bought, I've had a plumber there, take out the old primatic cylinder and replaced the cylinder with an indirect cylinder and new header tank. The back boiler is working perfect I've been told. We've replaced the pump and drained, cleaned and flushed the system. We've bled the radiators but the system isn't working, the boiler only fires up when you are bleeding the system, what's wrong?, it´s got the plumber baffled. Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Its such a simple system that if the pump is working and the pump valves are open its difficult to conceive any reason why the system should not bw working.

Some plumbers get easily baffled!

Is he CORGI registered? If not he may not have much experience of heating systems.

( And yes, to the pros, and even if he is CORGI registered he may still not have had much experience of heating systems! )

Tony

Do the rads all have bypasses (pipes connectin IN and OUT)? Most systems did but a few didn't. If not, and any of the rads is shut or blocked, there will be no flow through any of them cos they're all in series!

What you could do is work out the sequence of rads, take a couple off and temporarily connect between different rad valve unions (IN on one to OUT on another) with 2.5 metre washing machine hoses. They fit the old 3/4" ones and can be joined together with very cheap plastic male/male connnectors. (Or use garden hose with tap connectors). In that way you can "short out" whole sections. You should at least be able to establish that water flows.

Upstairs and downstairs MAY be on different circuits, or not.

Sponsored Links
Well, there was two things wrong. First, there was a dodgy gate valve that I had to replace, and second, the return valve on the pump was shut. So, simple, but I had the plumber baffled for 3 days. This was due to my dad giving him a hand and he kept telling the plumber the pump valves were open. Maybe the plumber should have checked but that's life.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

Motto 1 to the professional!

Never assume the client knows anything.

Motto 2. to the householder.

Never distract the plumber from following his own diagnostics!

And YES! I have experienced it before! I will tell you for your interest!

I diagnosed that the second floor flat had a restricted gas supply! THREE times I asked the lady if there was any gas tap ANYWHERE in the kitchen which was severly cluttered. THREE times she answered NO ! After that I felt it would be impolite to dig down through her clutter looking for what she had told me did not exist.

Her husband a Solicitor ended up digging up about 10 feet of unprotected gas pipe in the garden. First time I have ever known a solicitor working hard !!!

The real cause? An obvious and well labelled gas valve under the sink totally covered by a massive pile of plastic bags. That cost the lady about £200 for our three visits.

Tony

I find this tale fantastic as I have a regular customer who is still telling his wife a polteguist (sic) shut the pump valves, as when I got called out because the system wasnt working it took herculean effort to open them.

David

oh, she dont believe a word of it, and much as I would like to, neither do I.
The adjustabe on the airing cupboard floor put that unrepairable ching in his armour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back