Problems with oil boiler after fitting fire valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new oil tank and supply line installation (done and certified by an OFTEC registered tradesman) last summer. As part of the job he fitted a remote sensing fire valve to my oil suppy line. It is a KBB 65degC type.

My oil boiler (like most boilers, I guess) has a hot water loop thermostat (settings 1 to 6) and a safety cut out thermostat (internal to the boiler - no idea what temperature it trips at). I have been advised that it is most efficient to run with the hot water loop stat set to max and Up until last year this is what I had been doing. As for the safety cut out 'stat - but in the last 12 years I reckon I can count on one hand how many times it has tripped (it lights up a red lamp on the boiler while it is in its cut-out state). I've always wondered whether it was working properly.

Anyhow, in case you hadn't guessed what is coming, since fitting the fire valve I cannot run my boiler with the hot water loop 'stat above "4" without tripping the fire valve. I'd like to point out that my boiler isn't malfunctioning and clearly isn't on fire. The fire valve seems to be a little bit too eager to pop. Either that, or since my boiler predates the requirements for fire valves, maybe the hot water loop 'stat and limit 'stat settings are higher than you would find in a modern boiler?

I know that you can get 90degC fire valves. While the job is under warranty, should I get my installer to come back and fit a 90deg fire valve to allow me to run at a higher temperature, or would it be better to get a replacement hot water loop 'stat and/or safety 'stat that only allow operation up to a lower temperature? It seems a bit silly (and it’s a bit inconvenient) to have a boiler that allows me to run it into a situation where the fire valve pops. I'd rather be able to turn everything up to a maximum and let the two 'stats control everything, and only have the fire valve go off if there is actually a fire.

I also plan to put a temp probe inside the boiler case and measure the actual temperature in there, just in case the fire valve itself is malfunctioning.

Sponsored Links
:idea: reposition fire valve sensor/phial.
what boiler..actually i dont care, ffs dont post such a long post :cry: life is too freakin short. :(

the guy that did the job should know what to do.

remember hot air rises. :rolleyes:

There is an issue with chinese copies of fire valves too that are rubbish.Make sure it's genuine.

The trouble with fire valves is they are put inside boiler cases. This is the place where a fire is least likely to start. The fires usually start somewhere outside the boiler. For the fire valve to be effective it ought to be outside the boiler, but regulations require they are put inside. Dumb or what?

Sponsored Links
Worcester specify 85oC for there boilers for this exact reason.

If the phial is in the specified clip on the boiler then the fire valve should be replaced with one more suitably rated.

I think the jet fire valves are 75oC although not sure if the extra 10oC would make much difference.

Sam

I would get the installer to change the valve as it is either fauty or more likely too low temperature for your boiler. Some older boilers get very hot within the casing.

BTW a few years ago I had a call from a distraught Alpha Cooker owner. Her cooker had caught fire and the fire brigade were in attendance. I was passed on to the fireman who wanted to know 'how do you turn the oil off?' They hadn't even gone to the tank in the garden and definitely didn't know what the little brass wheeled thing was! I assume the cooker also had a remote sensing valve, it should have done.

I would get the installer to change the valve as it is either fauty or more likely too low temperature for your boiler. Some older boilers get very hot within the casing.

Thanks. That's the kind of reply I was looking for.

I knew you could get different temperature ratings for fire valves, but the only selection info I could find said to always use 65degC.

I'll measure the actual temp inside the case and find out if mine is faulty or simply inderrated, as you suggest.

Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back