Problems with water drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently plumbed in a new bathroom, this included two glass bowl basins, a thermostatic shower, shower tray and enclosure.

All was well until I came to use it, I noticed gurgling from the basins when they emptied. I have also noticed that when the basins are emptying together it takes ages. Furthermore when the shower is used for a period of time it starts to fill the tray!

I connected all the waste pipes together, teeing from the original 40mm pipe. I suspect that I've got big problems, any ideas what can be done to remedy this without taking out the basins and shower tray and rerouting the waste?

Terry,

p.s. the bottle traps to the basins are chrome, are there any anti vac bottle traps in chrome available, and would this sort the problem?

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea to have all the wastes plumbed together!
You will lose trap seal and have nasty pongs wafting in from your soil pipe.

I would suggest trying a max of two appliances served by one run of waste pipe preferably the shower and one basin (the shower has a large slow drainage area).
If you are lazy you could try putting an air admitance valve within 150mm of each appliance which effectively allows air in to stop siphonage, (the shower can be excluded due to its large surface area.
Hope this helps :)

Bacho,

Thanks for the advice, as I'm not a plumber can I ask what an air admittance valve is? Where can I get one from? I've seen one in screwfix, it appears to be quite large though. Is there one for 32mm pushfit?

Where could this be installed, would it have to be visible or could it be concealed within a wall (with or without ventilation)?

Terry

Sponsored Links
Air admittance valve is like a cap which fits in a tee( you need to break into the waste pipe coming from the appliance within 150mm of it) which allows air in to break the vacuum so stopping loss of trap seal.
Go to a plumbers merchants and they will advise you. Should be one for 32 mm and will have to be visible :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back