Problems with WB Greenstar 24i Junior Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a WB Greenstar 24i Junior combi boiler. The boiler was installed in 2010 and up until a few days ago didn't give me any major problems. However earlier this week I turned on my bath's hot water tap and noticed the water pressure was extremely low. The water was also incredibly hot. I turned on the hot water tap in my kitchen and encountered the same problem. I checked the pressure gauge on the boiler and it was reading around 1.5. I checked the mains cold water feed by running the cold tap in my kitchen and that was fine so that ruled out any supply issues.
I then hit the reset switch a couple of times on the boiler, hoping this would rectify the problem but it didn't.

I called my usual plumber to take a look and he seemed puzzled at first. He then I asked me how I generally use the boiler. I said I just use the hot water. He asked me if I use the central heating and I told him I don't and haven't used it for about a year. I explained to him that I avoided using it because I thought it would preserve the boiler and extend its life and mainly because I couldn't afford the extra fuel costs (was a carer for my mother up until a few months ago).

Upon hearing this he told me that by not using the central heating for such a long time I've clogged ("furred"?) the boiler up and done some damage to it. When we did fire up the central heating, the pressure gauge went into the red zone after about 7 minutes and the boiler started discharging water outside. My plumber said something about the vessel going.

My plumber suggested that a magnetic cleaning device should be fitted/descaling solution used in order to clean up the boiler. He told me I probably won't see any improvements for about 6 months and I'd just have to get used to the low pressure stream of water.

Fast forward to today and the boiler seems to have woken up. I've got normal hot water pressure back again. However after taking a slightly longer shower (around 50 mins) I came out the bathroom and heard a high pitched sound. It sounded like an alarm going off. I couldn't determine whether it was from the boiler or outside. But when I finally turned of the hot water in the bath, the noise stopped immediately.
So it looks like it was from the boiler after all. Despite this, there were no lights flashing on the unit and pressure was around 1 (still in the green zone).
It's been a few hours and I've since used the hot water for simple tasks (washing hands, tea cups etc) and the high pitch alarm sound hasn't returned.

My questions are as follows:

1.What could be wrong with the boiler? Have I really ruined it by not using the central heating for a year or so?
2.Is it likely that the return of normal hot water pressure will only be temporary?
3.The high pitched alarm sound concerns me a lot. What could be reason behind this?
4.What would be the best way forward? Should I attempt to clean up the boiler with the magnetic device/descaler and hope for the best or just install and new one and look after it properly?
5.Will the boiler in its current state explode whilst in use? I am quite worried that this might happen.

My plumber has suggested me after considering my low income that in the long run it would be better to install a new (same model) boiler and use it how it is supposed to be used. He said if I had simply used the central heating more frequently I wouldn't have the problems I do now. I was also told that once I start replacing internals on my WB it gets very expensive and I'll eventually need a new boiler anyway.

I'd be grateful for any input. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
All very odd!

Perhaps more so than your disappearing postings!

But you don't give up I have to say.

How about calling Worcester under the guarantee?

Tony

1.What could be wrong with the boiler? Have I really ruined it by not using the central heating for a year or so?
Block filter/pipe restricting flow by the sound of it

2.Is it likely that the return of normal hot water pressure will only be temporary?
No probably clear now.

3.The high pitched alarm sound concerns me a lot. What could be reason behind this?
Not sure what this could have been.

4.What would be the best way forward? Should I attempt to clean up the boiler with the magnetic device/descaler and hope for the best or just install and new one and look after it properly?
No. Change your existing boiler engineer.
Run the central heating for a short period of time over the next couple
of weeks.

5.Will the boiler in its current state explode whilst in use? I am quite worried that this might happen
Extremely unlikely. I would say you had more chance of winning the lottery.

Block filter/pipe restricting flow by the sound of it

No probably clear now.

Not sure what this could have been.

of weeks.

5.Will the boiler in its current state explode whilst in use? I am quite worried that this might happen
Extremely unlikely. I would say you had more chance of winning the lottery.

Thank you for the quick reply.
The loss of hot water pressure has returned. I now have a very poor stream of boiling hot water coming out of my hot water taps.

of weeks.

Just done this and pressure reading on the boiler began rising beyond 2 and was definitely heading into the red zone (I turned off the central heating before it went that far).
Any thoughts on why this could be happening? My plumber suggested that this was a sign that the vessel inside the boiler needs replacing.

I think I really have to do this. I've used the same guy for 10 years so naturally fell into the trap of rarely questioning his judgement.

Do you think the boiler is salvageable despite the problems I have described? It's only 5 years old and I am hoping it just needs a good clean.

Thanks again.

All very odd!

Perhaps more so than your disappearing postings!

But you don't give up I have to say.

How about calling Worcester under the guarantee?

Tony

Disappearing postings? What on earth are you on about? I've posted about this problem on several forums in order to try and find the best way to move forward. None of my posts have disappeared.
I haven't contacted Worcester yet as I'm thinking of just getting another local boiler engineer to take a look. But I will keep it in mind.

Sponsored Links
Blockage of some sort preventing the hot water travelling through the boiler. Hopefully straightforward to fix.

Pressure rising is just expansion vessel in the boiler needs to be pumped up easy fix.

Not sure I really want an answer to this, but....

What does the OP do in the shower for 50 mins?

Blockage of some sort preventing the hot water travelling through the boiler. Hopefully straightforward to fix.

Pressure rising is just expansion vessel in the boiler needs to be pumped up easy fix.

Thanks. This is reassuring. I really want to avoid forking out for a new boiler. The idea has already been suggested by my plumber.

Not sure I really want an answer to this, but....

What does the OP do in the shower for 50 mins?

Hah, was a one off. I couldn't have a decent shower over the past few days because of the incredibly low water pressure so decided to spend a little longer than usual.
Looks like I'll have to put up with it again since I lost hot water pressure this afternoon.

All you need is a competent boiler engineer to diagnose and fix your boiler.

You originally said that your plumber said that the expansion vessel needed replacing.

As they can normally be pumped up again then that's worrying!

I still don't understand why you have never used the heating for the last year.

All combi boilers should be used for a few minutes every 3-4 weeks on heating as well as being used on hot water regularly. Otherwise parts will seize up and cause it to fail.

Tony

All you need is a competent boiler engineer to diagnose and fix your boiler.

You originally said that your plumber said that the expansion vessel needed replacing.

As they can normally be pumped up again then that's worrying!

I still don't understand why you have never used the heating for the last year.

All combi boilers should be used for a few minutes every 3-4 weeks on heating as well as being used on hot water regularly. Otherwise parts will seize up and cause it to fail.

Tony

Yeah, that is correct -- he said that the rapid rise in pressure (when the central heating was turned on) suggested that the vessel had gone. He never mentioned anything about pumping it back up again.

It's my fault that I never used the heating for such a long period of time. I incorrectly thought I'd be preserving the boiler by not using it and was also worried about fuel costs.
I won't make the same mistake again. I've arranged for a different boiler engineer to look at it tomorrow. The hot water pressure has returned after briefly dropping for a few hours yesterday and there have been no strange noises. I hope a good clean out will solve things.

I appreciate the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back