Profile 100E, can it have pump overrun?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am asking because this one has a motorised valve on the primary feed to cylinder, controlled by cyl stat, and when it shuts, it turns off the pump. So any residual heat in the large iron HE is wasted.

Sponsored Links
As far as I recall the pump SHOULD be wired back to the boiler so that it provides an over run! It sounds as if yours has not been connected properly!

Regardless, if you have TWO motor valves then it also needs to have a bypass fitted so the pump has somewhere to circulate the water during the over run period.

I am surprised that you are not getting overheat trips!

Tony Glazier

only has one motor valve and it can gravity circ round the rads (it warms the upstairs bathroom towel rail mostly which is OK, but might be a bit of a waste in summer. Doesn't matter in winter.

I am asking because this one has a motorised valve on the primary feed to cylinder, controlled by cyl stat, and when it shuts, it turns off the pump. So any residual heat in the large iron HE is wasted.

The Profile 100e Installation instructions state:

On all systems the pump live connection should be wired
to the boiler terminal block, it will then be controlled by the
pump overrun. This will ensure that the pump will continue
to run after boiler shut down if the water temperature is high,
thus preventing nuisance operation of the overheat
thermostat.
It is important that where electrically operated zone valves
are used the boiler is wired so it does not cycle when the
zone valves are closed. Also, systems fitted with controls
that close both hot water and central heating circuits while
the boiler is still hot, must be fitted with a by-pass circuit to
dissipate the residual heat from within the boiler.

spraggo

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if only the hot is pumped and when the valve is closed the heat has nowhere to circulate to by pump action.

Thats very unusual to connect a system that way. Are you sure thats how its connected?

Much more common pumped heating and gravity hot water.

Spraggo, can you check to confirmthat the Profile is permitted to be used on a gravity circuit only? It probably is but we need to know that for sure.

Tony

Spraggo, can you check to confirmthat the Profile is permitted to be used on a gravity circuit only? It probably is but we need to know that for sure.

Tony

Gravity domestic hot water circuits should have a minimum
circulating head of 1.2 m (4 ft).
To ensure optimum boiler performance on both gravity hot
water and fully pumped systems a change-over switch is
incorporated in the boiler control box. The boiler is supplied
with the switch set for sealed or open vented fully pumped
systems.
If the boiler is to be used on a system with gravity hot water
the switch must be set to the GRAVITY position. In
addition, the bulb of the overheat thermostat should be
repositioned as shown in Fig. 21 ie across the pocket instead of being in the pocket.

spraggo

it used to be pumped CH and gravity HW, was altered to pumped HW as well. The CH circuit has its own pump and motorised valve.

however if you have CH on and click the wall stat, I'm pretty sure the CH pump starts and stops immediately.

Incredibly, when it was installed, it had no wall stat or cyl stat, these were added later.

Where should I look for the switch and bulb position to see if they seem to be correct? I think I know how to hinge down the underpanel which has the electrical connections.

You are not qualified so should not be touching the inside of this boiler you are on the site often enough to know the rules pay someone who knows what they are doing on this basic boiler

it used to be pumped CH and gravity HW, was altered to pumped HW as well. The CH circuit has its own pump and motorised valve.

The boiler switched should be on pumped.

That creates a problem having two pumps in your case because the boiler will want to run its connected pump all the time that its on!

I will think about it later! So far all I can think of is to have an independent over run pump!

But a little logic and a relay will be able to do it.

Tony

Where should I look for the switch and bulb position to see if they seem to be correct? I think I know how to hinge down the underpanel which has the electrical connections.

The switch can be accessed by sliding out the bottom cover and is situated to the left of the thermostat knob on the back plate.

The bulb is situated at the top right hand side of the heat exchanger but you must be a RGI to remove the front cover, which forms the seal for the combustion chamber, to gain access. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

spraggo

use a couple of pipe stats to give your boiler pump over run, simple to do and no need to open the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back