Programmer/thermostat on old CH/hot water boiler system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, any help on the following would be much appreciated!

My sister has recently moved house and the gas boiler that does the central heating and hot water is not a system I've come across before... in the airing cupboard there's a hot water tank, a mechanical timer switch, and a unit with "off/timed/on" and "water priority/heating priority" switches. There is a valve that moves mechanically when changing between hot water and central heating, and obviously radiators around the house, and a room thermostat downstairs.

The mechanical timer has broken, and I wondered if it would be possible to replace the room thermostat with a programmable thermostat with inbuilt timer, such as the Honeywell THR870CUK to do the timing, if I leave the switch in the airing cupboard set to "on" rather than "timed"?

I think this would enable the central heating to go on and off at the set times, but would this also be able to time the hot water going on and off? Maybe this is beyond the limitations of the system anyway and the water just comes on when the heating does? I can't remember if the broken timer had separate controls for heating and hot water.

It may be I have to get a plumber in to replace the broken timer, but if changing the room thermostat for one with an inbuilt timer would fix the problem that's be great, as it's within the limitations of my skills!

Many thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back