Protecting wooden handrail for outside use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had no replies to my posts in Woodwork or Gardening, so will try here.
I need to protect a steep drop on a patio area over some concrete steps by creating a 12' handrail or silmilar .. or maybe a full decking type assembly, but thats going to be expensive.
I have seen an internal stairway handrail in B&Q but wondered if this will be a longterm solution, even if preserved., and if so with what ? I would also need to provide some posts because the retaining wall is to small, so how many for a 12' run ?

Sponsored Links
I used an internal handrail on a structure I bult to access a caravan. At the time, it was the only thing I could find that suited my purposes. I treated it very, very well with Cuprinol Wood Preserver - Clear, soaking the exposed ends for a lot longer than recommended and minimum three coats everywhere else.

It has been there for 20 years now, no rotting. Had treated it every year with something like Cuprinol Ducksback for sheds and fences! Has been neglected for the past five years, but still no sign of rot. Must get the paint brush out.

However, if safety considerations apply and people may lean on rail, then it probably won't be substantial enough. Sorry, can't help you on the other queries.

Thanks,
I realise I might as well do this properly, for looks as well as the safety considerations. Good advice on the preservative tho. :cool:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back