PRV and noise from taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When we bought our house the tap in the bathroom made quite a loud noise when turned on, both hot and cold, kind of screeching / vibrating. We replaced the tap and still have the same problem. I installed a PRV (this one) after the stop tap and it did fix the issue with the taps but it reduced my shower flow to much unfortunately.

I can attach the gauge to the PRV to get the pressure if that’s helpful. I already have isolating valves for each tap supply under the sink. Turning this down helps, but I end up with just a trickle of water if I turn it down enough to eliminate the noise.

I don't have much space under the sink to fit the PRV there, also its all open so it would also be on view. Any other ideas on how I can resolve my issue? I'm not 100% sure why its happening, my taps in the kitchen are fine with no noise at all.

Sponsored Links
There are a few options available,onsite investigation will determine the best solution.

Some plumbing is already badly installed with incompatible imported plumbing products but there are options,should be an easy fix thou.

Search ' adjustable flow tap aerators '

Thanks Old&Cold, I should be able to pick one of these up from Screwfix, I'll report back. The tap did come with an aerator for for high pressure but that didn't seem to do anything.

The tap seems to make the noise when you open it a little, if you open it all the way its normally ok but very powerful.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Trace the noise, you might find it down to poorly supported pipework or an ISO valve not opened fully.

A lot of that type of noise is down to pipework sizing that's not properly designed to ensure water velocity is kept below levels that can create noise or sympathetic vibration in pipework and valve gear.

You can install inline flow regulators that will reduce flow without effecting pressure.

59-.jpg

http://www.aquaflowregulators.co.uk/aquaflow-couplers.html

Just an update. I spoke with Burlington and they suggest changing my cartridges for quarter turn instead of screw down. They sent me some out to try, I fitted them this weekend and its resolved my issue. No more noise! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back