PRV Outlet position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the replies re my last post about extending a boiler flue through a conservatory roof. That now seems sorted as the conservatory company have their own Gas-Safe fitter who will do this as the conservatory is built, but before this I would welcome guidance on this one please.

I need to re-route the PRV outlet so it exits to the outside of the intended conservatory. It`s now about 1.4m from the ground.

Are there regs about the outlet point re the height from the ground and accessibility, and is there good practice for this?

The conservatory side walls will be about 125mm from the garden fence on each side so no access there, or I could run it down and out to the side. The advice of the conservatory installer is to run it down to ground level as it is now and across the patio some 3.2 mtrs (conservatory will be 3m) and when they dig out the footings for the concrete they will sheath it in the concrete and it can exit the floor beneath the new intended conservatory door step, this will leave it only about 50-80mm from the outer patio ground level, but it will be accessible.
Does it also need to be "kicked back" as I`ve read about elsewhere on this forum, and what`s the reasoning behind this?

Sponsored Links
what they've suggested sounds fine, as long as its done in copper and not plastic.
you could potentially have boiling hot water and steam coming out of that pipe so it needs to terminate safely, its usually kicked back to the wall so the water will run down the wall and no unfortunate person gets blasted in the face by boiling hot water.
if its only a couple of inches above the ground outside an elbow facing downwards will be ok, but keep an eye on it so it never gets blocked by leaves or whatever

Thanks for the info gasmanstu72.

It will be in copper but just for my info am I correct in thinking plastic is a no-no as it would collapse in the concrete?

Sponsored Links
I don't like the sound of extending it by any significant distance.

My preference would be for it to exit at the shortest route and terminate about 150mm above ground level.

Long horizontal distances encourage water to pool and freeze and than an explosion can occur.

Tony

I'd be concerned that it's not in an obvious position and any discharge may not be noticed.

Plastic could melt under sustained high-temperature blow-off

You could always stick a label on the boiler saying where the discharge is located. We sometimes do this, similarly with electrics if isolation position is not obvious.

As long as pipe does not run uphill you are OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back