Drains smell in victorian house ground floor for last year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! We moved into a Victorian terraced house a year ago and have had an intermittent bad drain like smell ever since. It has been intermittent over the year but was bad when we moved in and again now. Some details on our house:

- The kitchen was extended into the side return in 2008, and as far as we know, probably over the top of where the manhole cover is. There are manhole covers in that location in other properties on the street. The kitchen floor is covered with ceramic (or perhaps granite) tiles

- There is a conservatory that backs onto the kitchen (entire length of the property)

- The waste water from the kitchen flows through the kitchen wall into the conservatory and into an open drain in the corner of the conservatory, which is boxed in. The drains run to the back of the house.

- The whole downstairs floor is covered with laminate apart from the kitchen/conservatory

There is an air brick at the front of the house but I presume the back has no ventilation due to the kitchen extension/conservatory

The main things we have noticed about the smell:

- the smell is sometimes sulphurous like drains but sometimes a bit like bins/bad breath. Generally horrid and an embarrassment

- It is worst around the side of the kitchen opposite to the drains, almost emanating from the floor. It also smells a bit in the corner of the dining room that is adjacent to the kitchen

- The smell has also come up through openings in the laminate elsewhere, like when we had the skirting replaced in the hallway the small was bad there too. So it seems to be bad under the ground floor

- There is no smell at all coming from the drains in the kitchen, downstairs toilet or from the open drain in the conservatory

- No one else on the street has had a similar problem

We are pretty desperate to get to the route of the problem but don’t really know where to start. Should we get a grain survey? Which trade is the best to approach for a solution? I was told a builder but I would like to be sure of the issue before we cause 1000’s of pounds of damage to the house.

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
A drain survey might help to identify broken/damaged pipes from which waste or water is leaking near the kitchen. But lift manhole cover to check for any obvious blockages first. I assume the traps under the sink are properly installed.

Blup

Unfortunately the manhole is buried under the kitchen floor (if there even is one, we are not sure) so we can't do that without making a very costly mess. The sink traps are properly installed (we had them replaced) but the smell is certainly not coming from the waste water in the kitchen anyway

Sponsored Links
In which case I guess a drain survey would at least help us identify where the manhole might be buried....? How would the smell be leaking from a manhole into the house when the manhole was outside the property and is now buried in (what I assume is) a concrete floor? It's a mystery to me.

The main issue is we just don't know where to start as its all money, and probably lots of it.

Leaking from a broken drain.

Was your house built before 1945, and is it in or near a town, canal, railway, factory, dock, port or warehouse?

Victorian terrace in north east London suburb, so late 1800's. Not particularly near any of the above. There are no working drains (at least in our property) that are under the kitchen so it would have to be leaking from an unused capped drain under the kitchen floor (where we think there might be a manhole)

Harry Bloomfield - OK good idea, perhaps we will track down a meal detector or get a powerful magnet (I have heard some people try that technique)

North East London is definitely near all of those. You have heard of the Blitz?

You'll have to explain the significance as we are surely not close enough for any of those things you mention to be causing the smell in our property but not others around!

Wartime bombing ripples the ground and shakes the houses. Your London clay moved. It is quite normal for drains to be broken where the pipe in the soft ground rigidly joined to the house. The pipes were made of fired clay.

Sometimes builders cover up problems so you can't see them, it is less arduous than repairing the fault.

I don't know how many of your neighbours have dug out and repaired their drains in the last 80 years. It might be quite a few.

Is there a red blob near your house? This map shows only a 9 month period.

1698445459103.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back