Awful smell from all drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new here,

I have a problem will smelly drains. Every time I use the washing machine, shower, kitchen sink and sometimes the toilet I get an awful smell coming up from the drains and in the kitchen (near the kitchen sink).

We have the manhole cover for the drains outside our back door and was wondering if this could be the cause.

I have looked on a few more questions and it seems that the generally it will be the traps for the sink/shower/etc. Might that be the case or is the fact that the kitchen and washer are on the ground floor and the bathroom upstair mean it is something different?

I'm not sure if it is a build up in the traps as sometimes it smells like everyone in the street has let off in my kitchen.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
You mention the 'traps'. There is a technical term known as self siphonage or induced siphonage. This is where due to the amount or force of water travelling through a pipe, it sucks out the water from the trap it is passing. (Negative pressure) A wash basin, for example, has a trap diameter of 32mm. The water seal inside this trap should be 75mm. So the answer to your question maybe that you are losing the water seal, so are allowing the egress(or smell) to rise up through the sink. (Or wherever)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back